For instructors in a non-profit situation

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just noticed this thread...

We train in a community center that has been very understanding with us about space, storage and so on -- but we can't put stuff up at all. Which leads to a simple question... Why do you need to display the belts? Give students a hand out, and make them learn the belt structure, instead. Visitors don't need to know that Susie is ranked higher than Billy... They'll either know or the difference is so minor that it won't matter.

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I too have a non-profit type of situation. Let me start by saying that you have a very unique and special opportunity by having a non-profit class.
The opportunity is that, although you want to keep a nice sized group, money really isnt the issue as long as the rent is paid, right?
My point is that you dont NEED to make belts an issue like you would if you were a commercial school and have the capability to do what you do best...teach what you love and remove a ton of headaches, politics and bellyaching. I'm not saing you should remove your grading system all together, just not make it a central focus. Trust me when I tell you...students know the grading order!!! With or without a belt rack!!!!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I too have a non-profit type of situation. Let me start by saying that you have a very unique and special opportunity by having a non-profit class.
The opportunity is that, although you want to keep a nice sized group, money really isnt the issue as long as the rent is paid, right?

Kyosho has hit a really important chord, here. We are actually much better off than our for-profit brethern, imho.

My point is that you dont NEED to make belts an issue like you would if you were a commercial school and have the capability to do what you do best...teach what you love and remove a ton of headaches, politics and bellyaching. I'm not saing you should remove your grading system all together, just not make it a central focus. Trust me when I tell you...students know the grading order!!! With or without a belt rack!!!!

The way I handle this, kids being kids and having the attention span of a moth at times, is to take questions at the end of class. Someone always asks the same thing about time reqmts., intangible reqmts., belt order, etc., and I find that taking a couple of minutes to (RE!)-explain puts many minds at ease. :) (with adults, I"m sure you'd not even need to do this). And as the club grows and you have students standing there as living illustrations of different ranks, this becomes more solidified and less of a concern.