Must-have items for non-profit dojang?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, Iceman, I've been teaching in a Y for over 10 years - my class meets in one room on Mondays and a different room on Thursdays, and just to complicate matters, the 2 rooms are in buildings on opposite ends of the parking lot, about a block apart. Many of the things mentioned are nice to have, but none of them, even the things I suggested, are truly necessary. A clean, bare floor - which is what I started with - is really the only thing you truly need. Any of the other items listed that you can reasonably store and access in a timely fashion are nice to have.

We do sweep the floor before class - but the Y has plenty of equipment, we use their dust mop, because all the other classes wear shoes - so we don't own one of our own.

I definitely second the first aid kit; I have one I carry in my gym bag because we rotate rooms, and I didn't think to list it. The Y has a first aid kit, but all it has it in is band-aids, at least at the Y I'm at, so I also keep chemical ice packs in both rooms; they're too bulky to carry around in any quantity.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many of the things mentioned are nice to have, but none of them, even the things I suggested, are truly necessary. A clean, bare floor - which is what I started with - is really the only thing you truly need.

Perhaps not for your school, but in a Kukki Taekwondo school that teaches the Modern Training Methods, equipment is essential. At the very least you need paddles and hogu.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps not for your school, but in a Kukki Taekwondo school that teaches the Modern Training Methods, equipment is essential. At the very least you need paddles and hogu.

We don't use hogu, so I don't consider them necessary. Paddles are nice, but all sorts of things can be used as targets. They may be necessary for you, but that doesn't mean they are necessary for everyone. I have some, and I use them regularly - but before I had them, I used other methods. Different things work for different situations; in my opinion, one of the strengths of a good instructor is being able to make do with whatever is, or is not, available.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't use hogu, so I don't consider them necessary. Paddles are nice, but all sorts of things can be used as targets. They may be necessary for you, but that doesn't mean they are necessary for everyone.

That's why I qualified my post and limited it to Kukki Taekwondo schools teaching the Modern Training Methods: "Perhaps not for your school, but in a Kukki Taekwondo school that teaches the Modern Training Methods, equipment is essential."

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's why I qualified my post and limited it to Kukki Taekwondo schools teaching the Modern Training Methods: "Perhaps not for your school, but in a Kukki Taekwondo school that teaches the Modern Training Methods, equipment is essential."

And that would be why I qualified mine by saying "They may be necessary for you, but that doesn't mean they are necessary for everyone."

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do hold dan rank in Hapkido but the subject doesn't really lend itself to discussion. There aren't as many events, happenings, or practitioners for that matter. It's easy to practice Hapkido because there is so much there, but at the same time it is hard to sustain a continuous discussion about it.
Not hard at all. Just say the words combat and hapkido and you'll get ten pages. Say video, combat, and hapkido and you'll have fifty pages before the thread gets locked.:p

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
And that would be why I qualified mine by saying "They may be necessary for you, but that doesn't mean they are necessary for everyone."

Why would you need to qualify it, since I never said that equipment was necessary for everyone?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not hard at all. Just say the words combat and hapkido and you'll get ten pages. Say video, combat, and hapkido and you'll have fifty pages before the thread gets locked.:p Daniel

People get all excited about that because they think he is teaching a watered down version or something, that it's not "true", and all of that. But the fact of the matter is more people are learning Hapkido because of him than there would be without him. And I believe he does teach more Hapkido than you would get through some Hoshinsul portion in a Taekwondo class. To me, Hapkido is a personal art, not made for the cookie cutter masses. In fact, the more individualized, the better.

Latest Discussions