For All The Taekwondo Bashers The Real Truth On Taekwondo From My View

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now that you remind me of these suppressed memories, that's another thing that bugged me about my particular school.

Nothing was systematic. We could spend a day on aerials out of nowhere, but no systematic follow-up. A military conditioning class thrown in completely random. No sparring for weeks on end, and then suddenly quite a lot of sparring. There was no coherence or consistency to anything.

What made it even worse is that some of these difference depended on whether the assistant instructor or head instructor had the class. And this despite the fact that the assistant instructor was brought up by the head instructor. Clearly different philosophies to TKD training.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now that you remind me of these suppressed memories, that's another thing that bugged me about my particular school.

Nothing was systematic. We could spend a day on aerials out of nowhere, but no systematic follow-up. A military conditioning class thrown in completely random. No sparring for weeks on end, and then suddenly quite a lot of sparring. There was no coherence or consistency to anything.

What made it even worse is that some of these difference depended on whether the assistant instructor or head instructor had the class. And this despite the fact that the assistant instructor was brought up by the head instructor. Clearly different philosophies to TKD training.
Breaking news: 2 instructors teach differently....shocker

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stressing the joints isn't good for anybody.

Pretty much every workout "stresses joints."

And the positive effects are what exactly, all else equal?

I've already covered this. Balance, posture, endurance, toughness, leg strength, probably a few others I've missed.

I have vastly different ideas of how to train than my Master does; in part because of my previous school, in part because of how I've learned and taught other things, and in part because of forums like this one.

You recognize two different training ideas in your school alone. Yet for some reason you're making all-or-nothing claims in the rest of this thread about what is and isn't Taekwondo. How is it you recognize the differences in your own school, but assume everyone else is a carbon copy?

TKD Eagle

White Belt
Reaction score
Sambo translates since it has both stand-up wrestling, striking, and ground submissions.

I don't know anything about Sambo. But even if it does, so what? It just means that the Sambo rules and the UFC rules are similar. But cage fighting is not the end-all, be-all of martial arts.

Muay Thai does well in UFC. Kicking with your shins allows you to deliver more power than kicking with the top of your foot, or the ball of your foot (as in TKD). Now personally, I don't want to strike with my shins. Whacking your legs with sticks to "deaden the nerves" sounds like a great way to ensure permanent bone pain to me. But I'm in my 40s and I have a real career. I don't intend to ever cage fight. Plus there's this great invention called "shoes" that let TKD guys put a lot more power into their kicks in a real world situation. You don't want to eat a front snap kick from me when I'm wearing my cowboy boots, trust me.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Sambo. But even if it does, so what? It just means that the Sambo rules and the UFC rules are similar. But cage fighting is not the end-all, be-all of martial arts.

Muay Thai does well in UFC. Kicking with your shins allows you to deliver more power than kicking with the top of your foot, or the ball of your foot (as in TKD). Now personally, I don't want to strike with my shins. Whacking your legs with sticks to "deaden the nerves" sounds like a great way to ensure permanent bone pain to me. But I'm in my 40s and I have a real career. I don't intend to ever cage fight. Plus there's this great invention called "shoes" that let TKD guys put a lot more power into their kicks in a real world situation. You don't want to eat a front snap kick from me when I'm wearing my cowboy boots, trust me.

Kicking with the shin generates more power all else equal. I don't believe it generates more power with a non chambered, stiff-legged, Traditional Muay Thai roundhouse kick.

TKD Eagle

White Belt
Reaction score
Kicking with the shin generates more power all else equal. I don't believe it generates more power with a non chambered, stiff-legged, Traditional Muay Thai roundhouse kick.

My point is that kicking with shoes on gives a TKD practitioner a huge advantage in a real world fight, and it doesn't carry the risk of shattering your leg.

In UFC, you get to tape your wrists and wear padded gloves. This protects your hands and encourages more boxing-style strikes. However you are unlikely to be walking around on the street with taped wrists and with MMA/boxing gloves on. Meanwhile you are incredibly likely to be wearing shoes of some kind, which you can't do in a cage fight.

So what? You said no martial art translates to cage fighting/UFC. Are you willing retract that now?

Nah. I'm sure there are some modifications that are needed.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what? You said no martial art translates to cage fighting/UFC. Are you willing retract that now?

Pretty much every art has something about it that you will need to change in order to go into the UFC.
  • Boxers are going to need to learn how to protect their legs and body, and have any take-down defense
  • Taekwondo fighters are going to have to learn to read punches, avoid getting their legs caught, and keep their hands up
  • BJJ fighters are going to have to learn how to do things while standing up
Etc. etc. I'm of course painting with some pretty broad brushstrokes, but the point is when you add other rules into the mix, it changes things. Boxers don't have to worry about kicks, so they don't train to deal with them. BJJ fighters don't benefit as much from a good standup as they do from a good ground game, so that's where their training will focus. If all you're doing is submission grappling on the ground, why do you have to be an expert in striking?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My point is that kicking with shoes on gives a TKD practitioner a huge advantage in a real world fight, and it doesn't carry the risk of shattering your leg.

Eh I don't think a Muay Thai practitioner would have any difficulties kicking with the foot, don't they do that also from time to time depending on the range?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eh I don't think a Muay Thai practitioner would have any difficulties kicking with the foot, don't they do that also from time to time depending on the range?

Then a TKD fighter shouldn't have any difficulty hitting with the shin, because so do we.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
  • Taekwondo fighters are going to have to learn to read punches, avoid getting their legs caught, and keep their hands

Not only read but also understand punching ranges. When they're safe and when not. I don't know if it's natural selection or bad habits from kicking, because they are totally oblivious, and the guard is down too. It's so bad that a sucker punch could end it even when they are supposed to be ready. I did not come from any boxing background and still picked up on this very early in training.

Conversely, they read kicks very well, which goes fits into the theory that this is attributable to bad practice.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not only read but also understand punching ranges. When they're safe and when not. I don't know if it's natural selection or bad habits from kicking, because they are totally oblivious, and the guard is down too. It's so bad that a sucker punch could end it even when they are supposed to be ready. I did not come from any boxing background and still picked up on this very early in training.

Conversely, they read kicks very well, which goes fits into the theory that this is attributable to bad practice.
Good for you

TKD Eagle

White Belt
Reaction score

I mean, I'm sure they can. I don't know if that's something they train or not, other than the teep kick.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Pretty much every art has something about it that you will need to change in order to go into the UFC.
  • Boxers are going to need to learn how to protect their legs and body, and have any take-down defense
  • Taekwondo fighters are going to have to learn to read punches, avoid getting their legs caught, and keep their hands up
  • BJJ fighters are going to have to learn how to do things while standing up
Etc. etc. I'm of course painting with some pretty broad brushstrokes, but the point is when you add other rules into the mix, it changes things. Boxers don't have to worry about kicks, so they don't train to deal with them. BJJ fighters don't benefit as much from a good standup as they do from a good ground game, so that's where their training will focus. If all you're doing is submission grappling on the ground, why do you have to be an expert in striking?
Do you think a TKD fighter would need to change some things in order to go into a real fight?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you think a TKD fighter would need to change some things in order to go into a real fight?

This wasn’t directed at me, but...I don’t think a Taekwondo fighter would need to change anything. That said, I don’t think there are all that many Taekwondo fighters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions