Foot and ankle strength

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To all my martial arts fam....I've been incorporating a lot of your recommendations for balance and strength improvements and I do feel stronger. But I wanted to ask if there are any specific things I can do to improve my toe strength and flexibility. I realize that to truly flourish in martial arts its necessary to have strong and flexible feet. Newbie asking for suggestions. Tremendous Thursday.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it?....I've been in martial arts for over 30 years and never once done any specific feet or ankle stretches or strength exercises

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it?....I've been in martial arts for over 30 years and never once done any specific feet or ankle stretches or strength exercises
that's probably coz you've been doing ma for 30 years and they haven't had chance to diminish, starting off from a 7nfit position is a different matter ?

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If there isn't then I'll stay the course and work through it. I was just curious to know if there was anything specific anyone knew. All info is good info especially on this site.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To all my martial arts fam....I've been incorporating a lot of your recommendations for balance and strength improvements and I do feel stronger. But I wanted to ask if there are any specific things I can do to improve my toe strength and flexibility. I realize that to truly flourish in martial arts its necessary to have strong and flexible feet. Newbie asking for suggestions. Tremendous Thursday.
the muscles that work you feet are in the calfs, one push one pulld, so do pushing and pulling exercises with your feet, pushing is easy, just go on to your toes, pull you need to work a lot harder at.

feet and ankles loose flexibility if you dont use them regularly and most people dont, theres little need in everyday life with shoes on, the feet particularly will fuse as next to nobody articulates there foot, practise moving all the bones in all directions, you will probably get some, most, all of it back, dependent on how long you've neglected it for

Last edited:
OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its been a minute for sure. Definitely have limited range of motion

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
My son recently mildly sprained his ankle.

His instructor now has him using elastic bands to help strengthen the small muscles that help stabilize the ankle.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do heaps of ankle and toes work. because rolling ankles suck.

So things like this.

Otherwise my stabby toe front kick is quite simply considered a thing of terror

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Standing calf raises, weighted or unweighted. Done on the edge of a step to maximize range of motion.

Ankle rotations as part of every warm up.

For karate, practice walking forward in front stance (zenkutsu dachi) barefoot on carpet, grabbing the carpet with your toes, with each step.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can develop foot scooping technique by the following training method.

- Dig a small hole.
- Put a Bowling ball in the hole.
- Use your inner step to scoop that Bowling ball out of that hole 100 times daily.

When you put your instep behind your opponent's ankle, push his shoulder back and scoop his leg forward, he will be down.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have to tell all you that this wealth of knowledge is so humbling to me. Whoever created this website THANK YOU!!! It's so refreshing to be able to talk to people who have the same (if not more) passion/enthusiasm for martial arts. I wish I would have started years ago but I'm appreciative of being here now. Gratitude and thankfulness.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
calf-raise.gif

anklecircles.gif

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have to tell all you that this wealth of knowledge is so humbling to me. Whoever created this website THANK YOU!!! It's so refreshing to be able to talk to people who have the same (if not more) passion/enthusiasm for martial arts. I wish I would have started years ago but I'm appreciative of being here now. Gratitude and thankfulness.

Thank YOU for your enthusiasm and positivity.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank YOU for your enthusiasm and positivity.

On the other hand I get really depressed when I read about all these ankle exercises I can't do ...like the woman rolling her ankles above. My ankles barely move from front to back and don't roll sideways at all. It's called a congenital bi-lateral osseous talocalcaneal coalition. That's a total fusion of the bones that should allow your ankle to roll sideways.

I used to try all kinds of stretches to get a little movement, but all that probably just contributed to the eventual deterioration and pain that I feel now. That's one reason I have been reluctant to try BJJ. My brother has the same condition and broke his leg badly as a college varsity wrestler. Under stress, if the ankle won't flex, something else goes instead.

Unfortunately my son has the same condition and some seriously weird looking feet. Apparently the gene that causes this defect is rare (far less than 1%) but dominant.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow.... I'm sorry you are going through something like that. You would think with all these technological advances there would be something out there to help. Man....

Latest Discussions