Folders ~ Best knives for combat purposes?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
The other thread about "concealed weapons not on premises" made me start thinking. What do you all do about work? Does your work know about your concealed weapons permit? Do they allow you to carry at work? and what do they think about your whole enthusiasm with guns,self protection and weapons concealment? or, is it that you all hold jobs like LEO, etc. where it isn't uncommon?

Enquiring minds want to know. :)
Well, being a teacher, I can't bring anything to school - the only armed person (barring inch-long knives on keychains) is the SRO (School Resource Officer - an officer from our local precinct). Anything up to 3" is actually okay, but I don't own anything like that, except kitchen knives - and who wants to walk around with a kitchen knife?

TomKat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kacey, the folders are well known to be the best knives for combat purposes. You can probably find one with a 3" blade. Many manufactures make them, Gerber being just one of them. But please, learn how to use it first if you decide to carry a knife for self-defense. =)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um, why are folding knives the "best" for combat? They are slower to deploy and inherently weaker than a fixed blade.

Jeff

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TomKat said:
Kacey, the folders are well known to be the best knives for combat purposes. You can probably find one with a 3" blade. Many manufactures make them, Gerber being just one of them. But please, learn how to use it first if you decide to carry a knife for self-defense. =)

I'm sure you're right - but I don't want to carry a knife, and I do have a folding blade I could carry if I wanted to. I have a one inch Swiss Army knife on a keychain, and the only things I've ever used it for are opening letters and boxes, and as a screwdriver. I'm not trained as a knife fighter, and I don't really want to be, although I have taken knife defense training. The only reason I know about the 3" rule is because another teacher had to stop carrying his Leatherman (at least on his belt) because the blade on it was longer than 3". Likewise, I would never carry a gun, as I have only minimal knowledge of how to use one, having never done so. But thanks for the advice!

TomKat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well Jeff, I'm sure it all comes down to personal preference. The fighting folders do have a good reputation for being ideal for self defense. The blade can be flung open with one quick move. Of course, knives do have their limitations, & can only be used in deadly force situations.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Um, why are folding knives the "best" for combat? They are slower to deploy and inherently weaker than a fixed blade.

Jeff

Never could figure that out..I carry one of the new Ka-Bar knives that has a fixed blade and its own sheath..Unless I show it off you wouldn't see it..Its small enougfh to fit behind my magazine holders..As far as the weapon I am an LEO and I only carry 50% of the time...But I carry it EVERYWHERE except Airports and certain Goverment facilities...

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Combat folders are a modern day compromise of convenience. It can be said that they are "the best" for everyday self-defense use because one is more likely to carry one and something is better than nothing. Stucturally, an equivelent fixed blade is superior.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Combat folders are a modern day compromise of convenience. It can be said that they are "the best" for everyday self-defense use because one is more likely to carry one and something is better than nothing. Stucturally, an equivelent fixed blade is superior.

I agree....

TomKat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are now available folders that actually have a locking blade, which in my opinion are far better than the folders that have non-locking blades.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TomKat said:
There are now available folders that actually have a locking blade, which in my opinion are far better than the folders that have non-locking blades.
Can you explain this? Folders with locks have been around for quite a while. And even back in the early seventies, you could buy "flipits" for your Buck 110 lockback.

Jeff

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MODERATOR NOTE:

Posts moved from this thread as it is good conversation worthy of it's own thread but off topic.

Lisa Deneka
MartialTalk Super Moderator

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
TomKat said:

Yes this is true, but fundamentally folders are slower and weaker than their fixed blade counterparts. The reason for the "tactical folder" market existing is the outlawing of fixed blades in certain jurisdictions. There is nothing that a folder can do that a fixed blade can't do better, except perhaps appearing innocuous.

Lamont

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TomKat said:
Kacey, the folders are well known to be the best knives for combat purposes.

Absolutely not. But they are often a good compromise between various needs and desires.

You can probably find one with a 3" blade.

Yes, for every law on the books there is a knife made to conform to it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
YThe reason for the "tactical folder" market existing is the outlawing of fixed blades in certain jurisdictions.

I discussed an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal about the marketing side of tactical knives here. The headline described it as a $1 billion business.

There is nothing that a folder can do that a fixed blade can't do better, except perhaps appearing innocuous.

I agree. A folder offers concealment, ease of carry and, potentially, the less-serious option of using it closed. But a fixed blade is superior in every way once the combat phase has been entered.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer fixed blades. Yet as stated by others here already, the modern folder is the compromise that many people and even most people in society have accepted.

Personally I like my fixed blade with hilt and a 10+ inches if edge on the blade.

But that is not as easy to carry as the folders, and many consider it an agressive weapon for its' size.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I needed a knife for defense or combat I would always choose a fixed knife blade over a folder. (always) However, unfortunately it is not always legally exceptable or practical to be carrying a fixed blade so folders are then the effective compromise and for that reason they are very, very useful.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
If I needed a knife for defense or combat I would always choose a fixed knife blade over a folder. (always) However, unfortunately it is not always legally exceptable or practical to be carrying a fixed blade so folders are then the effective compromise and for that reason they are very, very useful.

Brian R. VanCise

I agree, Brian. I guess I see folders as more of an adaptation than a compromise. Concealment of the knife (in my state anyway) is an absolute necessity to stay on the good side of the local constabulary.

Personally I think what conceals the blade the best really depends on the style of blade and the clothes I'm wearing. A folder certainly is easy to wear, but I've also borrowed a smaller fixed blade that I sheathed in the small of my back...keeping the blade concealed under my clothes and avoiding the telltale clip on my front pocket.

Haven't made a commitment to buy a fixed or a folder yet...I have the feeling I'll end up with one of each :D :D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
I agree, Brian. I guess I see folders as more of an adaptation than a compromise. Concealment of the knife (in my state anyway) is an absolute necessity to stay on the good side of the local constabulary.

Personally I think what conceals the blade the best really depends on the style of blade and the clothes I'm wearing. A folder certainly is easy to wear, but I've also borrowed a smaller fixed blade that I sheathed in the small of my back...keeping the blade concealed under my clothes and avoiding the telltale clip on my front pocket.

Haven't made a commitment to buy a fixed or a folder yet...I have the feeling I'll end up with one of each :D :D

Watch out once you start buying them it is hard to stop!

Brian R. VanCise

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
JeffJ said:

Jeff

Actually, the Kershaw speed-safe folding knives (Chive, Scallion, Leek) deploy very quickly - I daresay just as fast as a switchblade. I can whip mine out in an instant.

And if I'm not mistaken, the maximum allowed blade length for folding knives is 3", at least in my state.

Latest Discussions