Foam Weapons

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't remember what brand foam sticks we used to use, Century or AWMA...maybe AldonAsher or arnisandyz remembers. I think they were Century. Anyway, we used to go through about 3 sticks a day when we used them for sparring. They broke WAY too easily.

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Contact Tim Hartman (RENEGADE) thru Email. ([email protected]) The ones we use at the school are pretty durable...we go balistic with them regularly and they've held up great.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The actionflex sticks hold up well.
Be VERY careful using the cheapie sticks made with insulation over pvc pipe; I sent a training partner to the ER for stitches when one shattered and a shard gashed his finger.

M

Master of Blades

I use Tuf-Stix myself......But they tend to break and fall apart really easily....and they have a metal rod in them so there not very great for light sparring. Not gonna recommend them :asian:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Contact Tim Hartman (RENEGADE) thru Email. ([email protected]) The ones we use at the school are pretty durable...we go balistic with them regularly and they've held up great.

They are Action Flex and I highly reccomend them!

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anybody try foam padded plastic bats like the following? If its good enough for foam Bat Midget Fighting in Alaska - its good enough for me!

Attachments

• $bucketheadmidgetswfoambats.jpg
    $bucketheadmidgetswfoambats.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 221

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seriously though, I found one at the local Dollar store (for $.99!!!) and it looks far stronger than any padded stick I've ever seen. Looks like this.

Attachments

• $p284177dt.jpg
    $p284177dt.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 233
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by arnisandyz
Anybody try foam padded plastic bats like the following? If its good enough for foam Bat Midget Fighting in Alaska - its good enough for me!

I have one that I use to beat my brother into submission many a time......but other then that I dont really use it for training :shrug:

B

Black Tornado

Walmart has Red and Black foam bats in their toy section that can block almost as well as a "real" stick. They arn't exactly gentle, but they take the edge off the blow. About $4 a piece.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a lighter weight PVC that is thinner and more flexible. It is used for hot water instead of cold and "gives" more when striking. It is available at plumbing or Home Depot / Lowe's type stores. Ask for CPVC, cut, cap the ends (so they cannot be "pushed" out) and use the same insulation you use for PVC sticks, it is a regular A/C foam. Duct tape as needed and voila, a smaller more flexible core, with more padding, or at least an equal amout of padding, so proportionally you get a softer, more flexible weapon. This for those that can't spend the bucks on SoftStixs or have to have, oh about 60 of them for a seminar or school.

Just an idea, I prefer the looks of some of the other's, but these work and are safer than pvc.

T

twinkletoes

For kids, i've taken to starting with regular pipe foam with duct tape sealing the pre-split side. It's cheap, safe, and even adults can hit full force without it hurting (but you KNOW you got hit).

Just use eye protection...

~TT

X

XxSweetFacadexX

i'm jealous! everyone gets to use foam or padded sticks.

i once asked my instructor if we could train with foam or padded sticks... he laughed so hard and then hit me with a stick... i took that as a no....:lol:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by XxSweetFacadexX
i'm jealous! everyone gets to use foam or padded sticks.

i once asked my instructor if we could train with foam or padded sticks... he laughed so hard and then hit me with a stick... i took that as a no....:lol:

What Balintawak family are you from?

X

XxSweetFacadexX

i'm currently training under Bob Silver Tabimina who trained under Jose Villasin, Teofilo Velez, Timoteo Maranga, Anciong Bacon, and Ciriaco Canete.

oh.. he wasn't the instructor that hit me with a stick when i asked. actually, i'm afraid to ask him if we could spar with padded sticks. i'll probably get the same response. :lol: it's okie with me tho since he's instructed by my father to train me just as well as he would train a guy. in other words.. i don't get the padding the girls do.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by XxSweetFacadexX
i'm currently training under Bob Silver Tabimina who trained under Jose Villasin, Teofilo Velez, Timoteo Maranga, Anciong Bacon, and Ciriaco Canete.

Cool. I train with Ted Buot who trained under Anciong Bacon.

X

XxSweetFacadexX

i'm not exactly sure. lol. perhaps it's cuz it's something i can never have in training. there just something so kiddie and fun about padded sticks. kinda like nerf bats and arrows and balls. i enjoyed "swordfighting" with my cousin with those padded things. i guess i'm just still a kid at heart. hee hee.

Latest Discussions