FMAT: testing entry methods and distance..

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
testing entry methods and distance..
By Fan the Madman - 09-18-2009 10:50 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Greets all,
As some of you may know (PG Mike, Wes!!) I've got the usual varied background that mixes chinese, filipino and indonesian influences. Lately I got the chance to get a really nice complete classical Gao system from a good teacher so I've been focusing on that. Also in my town we have people who are better at Kali and better at Silat than me teaching publically.. so why should I compete with them? I have something special, they have something special.. no reason to try to make the same kind of rice for my bowl as them.

That said.. when I'm training my students to make their stuff functional I always am mindful of the training methods that helped me pull my baguazhang out of the ashpit of uselessness and taught me how to fight (which is to say.. ARNIS DE MANO!!!). Helped me figure out what was missing.

One of my students is a game little chick, she trains hard and eats bitter in solo practice. She had an aikido background (her ukemi was outstanding) when she came to me, and she loves to throw. Still her confidence level against a striker was not good. If she could get inside she was ok.. but getting there (she has no reach at all) was problematic.

I thought, and pulled out something we used to do in Kali/Arnis.. with the finish techniques modified to be bagua-ish, instead of more "I stab/cut you 10 times!!!" FMA style.

You can look at the clip here.

It's my belief most FMA people would look at students training this way and be like "that's good work for beginners, adds some spontaneity, adds a little pressure, good panatukan drill, tell them to keep working hard!".

Weirdly however.. this was panned by my CMA buddies.. on the grounds that "the distance is wrong and builds bad habits".

But nothing they could produce dealt with the idea of "how shall we go from largo range to corto-corto range?".

I would like the feedback of the FMA adepts on this. FMA works "distance-modified" drills all the time (hubud and guntings being a good example.. you train hitting the hand, but generally you apply by hitting the face or further in). Is this "change the distance to get in some good training" a FMA thing? A weapons thing?

How say you?

(as a last note.. the students love the drill and found it very valuable).

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions