FMAT: Rigidly choreographed forms in FMA?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Rigidly choreographed forms in FMA?
By geezer - 10-07-2010 02:25 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

A friend of mine who runs a commercial kung fu school is introducing some FMA into his youth program and asked me to help him come up with a few Eskrima forms appropriate for kids. I told him I would, as long as the "forms" we devised would be base on authentic technique that would provide a foundation for good FMA "down the road".

Here's the problem. The FMA I've learned doesn't use rigidly choreographed "anyos" or forms. At times we would work through practice routines, but we were constantly changing them. My old instructor would give us a series of attacks and defenses, then say things like, "Let's do it slow working on flow... Good, now do it again fast! ...OK, try medium speed, but maximize your power.... Try again and add two more follow-up strikes... Now the same, but with empty hands... Now with attitude, and add a kick..."

Well you get the idea. They weren't rigid forms as much as a variable training framework... almost like shadow boxing built around some specific combinations. My instructor felt that since combat situations are constantly changing, you shouldn't train in an overly rigid, choreographed way. Now, I find myself choreographing "kata" style forms that are a precise sequence of moves against visualized attacks, with exact steps, done following a pattern with a fixed start and finish point and so on... and I find myself thinking that maybe this isn't such a good thing. Drills are one thing, but following a pattern like this? In reality, your footwork and movements need to adapt to your opponent. How deeply you step in, whether to off-line or stay rooted/de fondo, and so on all has to depend on how your opponent moves. The same goes for your striking targets. So I find myself wondering... is any of this areally a good idea? Or am I just worrying too much. I mean this is for a kids class after all. Any thoughts?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think an FMA form is possible to choreograph well enough. For kids or beginners it's great, also when you don't have a partner to demonstrate with, a form is a good way to demonstrate FMA to people in outside systems.

And, I don't think a rigid set of moves such as a form is necessary to do well when it hits the fan, as FMA training is mainly developing reflexive reactions, and practicing in variable situation, I find it works out ok.

Good luck to your choreography.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you can't do a few set moves, how are you going to do well when it really hits the fan?
sean

ToD,

Think of it as a Flowing Kung Fu Style versus a Hard Karate or TKD Style.

Most FMA is about redicrecting the energy. There is some force to force with weapons and even empty hand, but the more advanced teachings usually have a non harsh feel to it.

So I think the original comment is about creating a form or anyo that will fit into the style, not take a form from another style and then take some single techniques of FMA and force it into the form and keep the hard crisp style.

Also, some within FMA believe that Forms Limit a person to only do technique A against Attack A. Versus an open free flow format where there is no "RIGHT" answer, just different degrees depending upon what you wanted to do next.

Latest Discussions