FMAT: How do you "Spread the Word" about FMA???

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
How do you "Spread the Word" about FMA???
By geezer - 12-23-2011 08:56 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I've met and trained with some very good people in my area (Phoenix) and there is a pretty diverse FMA community here... but it's very much and "underground" thing. The general public doesn't even have a clue about FMA, and it's really tough trying to build up a group. In fact, it seems like it's easier to get people to do almost any other art first. Guys I know teach Karate, Kung-fu, Jiu-Jutsu, MMA... and are lucky if a small percent want to train FMA. Well, I'd understand that if these guys did FMA as a sideline themselves... but often FMA is their passion, but they have a hard time promoting it.

Now I'm in the same boat. I run a little Wing Chun class, but I'm really looking to build my Escrima group. But at the moment, the WC my FMA student count is almost zero. Even my FMA instructor 30 miles away on the other side of town doesn't have many students. And he's very good. Good enough for me to make the 60 mile round trip to keep training every Saturday. And even the headman of our system primarily trains MMA fighters these days.

I've tried YMCA classes, added Escrima to my kung-fu website, posted Craigslist adds and there's no response. Right now I'd take on a really dedicated training partner for free! Can't figure it out. I do shower. Brush my teeth too. Just must be "charismatically challenged" I guess. What does it take to get people to swing a stick at you these days? Any thoughts?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions