Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Relying on The Knife as a Tool.
By arnisador - Sun, 12 Nov 2006 04:15:18 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Setting Out Into the Arizona Wilderness With Only a Knife

This is a detailed piece from the NY Times about a survival school that focuses on surviving with minimal gear--principally the knife.

Quote:
His face was a mask of apprehension as he struck out through the thick Ponderosa pines. “My survival will come down to this,” he said, patting the knife (a Swedish Mora knife with a four-inch blade) at his waist as he negotiated some thick sagebrush. “The blade will decide.”

Mr. Posner was one of three people taking a two-day course led by Tony Nestor of Ancient Pathways, an Arizona outdoor survival school that teaches survival using only primitive technology. Participants are allowed to take only a knife, the clothes they arrive in and a tiny survival kit containing parachute cord, a fire sparker and a water bottle. Tent, sleeping bag, G.P.S., camping mattress and, more important, food, are all forbidden. The idea is to learn how to survive if a day hike goes wrong.
Quote:
Becoming a real weekend Rambo appeals on a number of different levels. “Modern hiking inventions are great,” Mr. Posner said. “But Gore-Tex is not going to find me water if I am stranded. I was a huge fan of Tarzan growing up, and I have always been fascinated with the idea of living in the wild with only a knife.”
People always point out that the knife is a tool. Sometimes they use that as a cover for the fact that they carry one for self-defense. But this is a nice reminder that in terms of self-preservation a knife is an important tool in more ways than one!

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions