FMAT: Question about single stick (sword) being primarily trained for the right hand...

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Question about single stick (sword) being primarily trained for the right hand...
By VectorJoe - 10-31-2012 11:30 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi,

I was recently at a PTK Seminar and asked about training the left hand (single stick/sword). The instructor explained that the tactics and techniques work better right handed and that even people who are left handed learn and do the techniques right handed. Is this common across all PT? I did not want to seem disrespectful and interrupt the class further to discuss the matter, and unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to discuss after class.

If this is a common thread across PTK, can someone elaborate more on the theory of why a technique or tactic would be inherently better to execute right handed than left handed?

One of the main reasons I ask this is because most of the other FMA that I've studied train both hands to equal amounts (or even the weak hand more). Personally, I am right handed, but with right shoulder problems. I train both hands, but my left arm can generate more power due to my shoulder. Also, what happens if the right hand is simply out of action for some reason.

Thanks, and please do not take any of this as criticism, just an honest quest for knowledge.

Joe

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions