Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
punyo question
By jezah81 - 03-09-2014 11:47 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hey guys,

What styles of Arnis is there that don't hold the stick with a punyo protruding? In JKD/Kali and doce pares we are taught to hold the stick with a fist length punyo extending out of the stick holding hand, but what are some styles that don't hold the stick with a punyo sticking out? And what are other styles that use punyo? What are pros and cons of holding the stick in both ways? Look forward to hearing some thoughts ....
smile.png

Cheers
Jeremy

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
punyo question
By jezah81 - 03-09-2014 11:47 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hey guys,

What styles of Arnis is there that don't hold the stick with a punyo protruding? In JKD/Kali and doce pares we are taught to hold the stick with a fist length punyo extending out of the stick holding hand, but what are some styles that don't hold the stick with a punyo sticking out? And what are other styles that use punyo? What are pros and cons of holding the stick in both ways? Look forward to hearing some thoughts ....
smile.png

Cheers
Jeremy

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

As I've only trained in a style that uses the punyo, I guess I'm limited to discussing the pros as I see them. The punyo allows me some measure of hooking, much like I could use an empty hand to grasp. In addition, I like the ability to fight in close with short strikes that the punyo provides.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm told that Balintiwak (sp) doesn't use any protruding punyo because they believe that makes it harder to disarm them. And a lot of disarms use the punyo as a place to apply leverage. But I find that w/o a bit of punyo sticking out the stick seems a bit unbalanced during the swing. I like to strike and hook with the punyo, but I suppose not having one would give you a couple inches extra reach, and in a largo mano range that could be pretty decisive.