FMAT: David Mamet Film "Redbelt" Features Dan Inosanto.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
David Mamet Film "Redbelt" Features Dan Inosanto.
By arnisador - Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:40:00 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

From today's NY Times:

Hard Lessons Learned in the Ring

Quote:
In my film Boom Boom Mancini portrays a character modeled upon Danny Inosanto. Dan is the world&#8217;s Sensei, or most revered teacher, of kali, or Filipino knife fighting. He learned from the generation of his fathers and uncles who taught the American G.I.&#8217;s in the Pacific war. He was a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne, was the first man to receive a black belt from Bruce Lee and teaches, to this day, in his academy in California, and to police and military personnel around the world.

My film, &#8220;Redbelt,&#8221; is about jiujitsu. In the film the redbelt is that unique honor possessed by the form&#8217;s most revered teacher. I needed someone, in the film&#8217;s last sequence, to portray this teacher, and at the film&#8217;s end to pass on the belt to his elected disciple (Chiwetel Ejiofor). Over the course of preproduction I discussed the casting with Renato Magno, my teacher and the film&#8217;s fight choreographer and producer. &#8220;We need,&#8221; I said, &#8220;someone with the face of a fighter, someone like Dan Inosanto,&#8221; and, over the months of preproduction Renato kept suggesting, &#8220;What about Dan Inosanto?&#8221; until one day, I suppose it became my idea, and I said, &#8220;What about Dan Inosanto&#8221; who plays the part, and whose face tells the film&#8217;s story: that all fighters are sad. Who could play that part who was not a great fighter? No one.
According to the IMDb page for the movie, he plays a character named Joao Moro in this BJJ-themed movie. There's a passing mention of the author's study of BJJ in this story.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed