FMAT: 10 000 hrs of training?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
10 000 hrs of training?
By Oskarand - 01-03-2009 05:58 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Currently reading Malcom Gladwells book Outliners. In his book he mentions that if you put 10 000 hours into something you will really master it. So being New Years resolutions time I was thinking I should put 10 000 hrs into Martial Arts to really master it.

So far I roughly have:
Ju Jutsu: 80 hrs
Wing Tsun: 250 hrs
Thaiboxing: 30 hrs
Lameco: 90 hrs
Pekiti Tirsia: 100 hrs
Total: 550 hrs.
So at my current rate of 3-5 hrs a week I really be good at the age of 88 - 89 years... :) (calculating 40 weeks of training a year being 30 now)
So my New Years resolution is to increase the 3-5 hours weekly to 7-8 hours a week. This way I be a really good master at Grand Tuhons age...
So what I need to do is train at home since I only have 4 hours of Pekiti Tirsia class a week and maybe 2 hrs of Thaiboxing.
So my question is when training at home, lets say I do 1 hour everyday at home outside my normal class, what should I focus on and what do I do not to get bored doing it? Doing 1 hour of footwork by myself will get boring. So how do you train at home outside the normal class? Footwork? Speed stricking? Broken strikes? How can I make it more fun and have more variations to keep the motivation up? Any advice?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've read several reviews of this book and find the idea interesting! The notion that 10K hours is the magic number across so many disciplines is intriguing, but...how many hours has the typical expert boxer put in? That should be easy to find out from training logs!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets see between 1964 - 1976 I trained 1 hr. a day for 5 days a week. that equals 3380 hours.

Between 1976 - 1989 I train two hours a day for 6 days a week that equals 7280 hours.

Between 1989 - 2008 I trained an average of 6 hours a week that equals 6240 houts.

Total time training equals 16900 hours and probaly another 45,000 hours teaching, so that makes me a Master?

I can appreciate what he is saying but truely what makes a Master or Grand Master is the peer that he knows and the pupil that follow them.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're beyond master, dude!

The military clearly thinks one can develop proficiency in less time than 10K hours...but expertise? The 10K number is intriguing, but I never trust round numbers!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're beyond master, dude!

The military clearly thinks one can develop proficiency in less time than 10K hours...but expertise? The 10K number is intriguing, but I never trust round numbers!

I would agree with you about that.

Latest Discussions