FMA Instructors

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are two FMA instructors in my area, an Aldon Asher and Andrew Zavalla.

They both claim to be instructors in Filipino Combat Systems. Zavalla also claims to be an instructor of Modern Arnis. Asher also claims to teach: Inosanto-LaCoste Kali, Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, Sikaran, and Sayoc Kali.

Anyone have info on these two? I got this info from the Filipino Martial Arts Instructor Database.

If I ever get enough time to formally study another system, I'd be interested in a Filipino system for the sensitivity and flowing aspects they seem to have. I would have said Wing Chun as well, but I know there isn't anyone teaching that publicly here.

Cthulhu
(being particularly nosey)

I

IFAJKD

The kool thing about FMA systems is the angles of attack and the footwork. The Instructors you mentioned could be checked out by finding who taught them theis "Inosanto" systems and then checking with the Inosanto Academy
Miller

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now here's a silly question:

Does the Inosanto Academy have a Web site?

Cthulhu

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Kaith. Didn't see a link to a Web site, but there was plenty of other good info...even lodging suggestions!

Cthulhu

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know Andrew but I have worked out with Aldon at a couple of Filipino Combat Systems (FCS) seminars in Florida. From what I recall, not only is he a practitioner of FCS and the Inosanto systems, but also he is a practitioner of Pentjak Silat.

Hope it helps,

Palusut:yinyang:

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! If I ever have the time, I'll look him up.

Cthulhu

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do either of these two gentelman have a web siteor one for there school.
How about just listing there school name and address if youdont mind.
Just wondering
Shadow

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser

Do either of these two gentelman have a web siteor one for there school.
How about just listing there school name and address if youdont mind.
Just wondering
Shadow

By all means, check out arnisandyz's post that arnisador linked to. Are you planning on being in Florida soon?

I've been training with Aldon and Andy since the beginning of the year and I've loved every minute of it!

Cthulhu

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Richard S., I've been training with the two people I asked about since the beginning of the year. Great guys, great instructors, and great fun!

That original post is kind of old. I probably should have mentioned that I started to train with them.

Whoops.

Cthulhu

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Please go to the link http://www.kungfuarnis.com/rayvideo.html to see some of Master Ray Dionaldo's stick work. The video sample is from a 2-day seminar that was held at my instructor's (David Ng) school a while back.

The tapes cover a ton of cool knife techniques, Crossada, and some Espada Y Daga and can be purchased either through www.kungfuarnis.com or from Ray at www.fcskali.com.

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for posting that link, Palusut! Didn't Ray just do a seminar in NC about a month ago?

Whoever runs that site needs to put a clip of his bladework up ;)

Cthulhu

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Cthulhu,

Yeah, Ray was up here in April for a one day seminar at our school and he also had a few segments at the MARPPIO seminar that weekend.

Of course both he and the Presas family did a outstanding job!!!

I will pass along the idea about adding a sample of Ray's knife work on the site. The cool thing about the current clip is that Ray is known sometimes commonly or unknowingly thought of as mainly a blade-master. He is as skilled with the sticks as he is with the blade!!!

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, that's probably because he's so higly ranked in Sayoc Kali and often acts as assistant to Tuhon Chris Sayoc at seminars and such. Many people are unaware that he holds ranking in other FMA as well, like Modern Arnis, Pekiti-Tirsia, Pambuan Arnis, etc., as well as rankings in non-Filipino systems like Shotokan. His site goes over his credentials much better than I can.

I've only had the pleasure of attending one of his FCS Gatherings, but I look forward to more in the future. I'm also lucky enough to study with two instructors in his FCS system :)

Cthulhu

Originally posted by Palusut

Hi Cthulhu,

Yeah, Ray was up here in April for a one day seminar at our school and he also had a few segments at the MARPPIO seminar that weekend.

Of course both he and the Presas family did a outstanding job!!!

I will pass along the idea about adding a sample of Ray's knife work on the site. The cool thing about the current clip is that Ray is known sometimes commonly or unknowingly thought of as mainly a blade-master. He is as skilled with the sticks as he is with the blade!!!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

Yeah, that's probably because he's so higly ranked in Sayoc Kali and often acts as assistant to Tuhon Chris Sayoc at seminars and such...

Hi Cthulhu,

True, but also don't sleep on Grand Tuhon Chris Sayoc's stick work as well. Ray has blended in some of GT Chris Sayoc's stick strategies into some of the Modern Arnis Tapi-Tapi lock drills, awesome stuff. :D

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I understand, Ray learned most of the Sayoc stick work directly from Grand Tuhon Bo Sayoc (Chris' Father) which is a portion purposely left out of Chis' system (not that he is not awsome with the rattan as well, but he is focusing more on specializing on blade work). Mike Sayoc in Kissimmee,FL still teaches the Sayoc stick portion.