Flying Solo

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The head instructor of my club has asked that I (lowly brown belt that I am) cover his classes for him tonight. I've been "apprenticing" in the Friday classes for quite a while, and have taken over when the other regular instructor has suddenly had to deal with other things, but I've never had full control of the class ON MY OWN, with no one available if something goes wrong.

Strangely, I'm not at all nervous.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good luck! You seem to have a good head on your shoulders though so I doubt you'll need it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fantastic! I bet you'll do great :)

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am sure you did well (assuming that time is up, as late as it is here when I post...)!! Good luck and have fun with it if not!

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sounds so exciting Stacey! I've led a class in counting to ten in Japanese while we did our blocks, but as I am just a Baby Kyu (as I call myself hehe) the only other thing my senseis did for me so far is give me full control over their attendance record book to take home and hold onto for them and return it later. and it was in my hands and I had to make sure everyone signed it and I kept it up to date and stuff for them.

This was only a week ago.

Good luck! I bet you'll do a great job and won't let your teacher down, stacey!

btw my sensei said he picked me cause I am sensible and a good student and he felt he could trust me and I always come to every class.

and I said Yeah I'm like a bad penny - I always turn up. ;)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The head instructor of my club has asked that I (lowly brown belt that I am) cover his classes for him tonight. I've been "apprenticing" in the Friday classes for quite a while, and have taken over when the other regular instructor has suddenly had to deal with other things, but I've never had full control of the class ON MY OWN, with no one available if something goes wrong.

Strangely, I'm not at all nervous.

Excellent..You will be fine.Why do some people believe that ya gotta have a Dan rank to teach a class?? A great teacher is not judged by the color of his belt..

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The classes went very well. We had fewer students than usual (we did belt testing before Spring Break, so this was the last class of the session following a week off--usually those are small), 6 kids and 2 adults. We usually have 10-12 kids in that class and about 6 adults. Everyone behaved well and learned a lot, and I was hoarse and tired by the end of the night. One of the adult students asked if I was going to be teaching the class from now on and said I was a wonderful teacher. A junior student's parent told me she (and her daughter) hoped I would be taking over the class. Yay! :)

Thanks for all the support and encouragement!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The classes went very well. We had fewer students than usual (we did belt testing before Spring Break, so this was the last class of the session following a week off--usually those are small), 6 kids and 2 adults. We usually have 10-12 kids in that class and about 6 adults. Everyone behaved well and learned a lot, and I was hoarse and tired by the end of the night. One of the adult students asked if I was going to be teaching the class from now on and said I was a wonderful teacher. A junior student's parent told me she (and her daughter) hoped I would be taking over the class. Yay! :)

Thanks for all the support and encouragement!

Not surprised at all Stacey! You should be proud of yourself. :) :asian:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
See, we all knew you'd do a fine job. Well done and congrats.

Latest Discussions