flying kicks for the streets.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your opponent's 45 degree downward flying side kick (with all his body weight behind it), aiming at your leading leg knee joint can be the most scary entering strategy that your opponent applies on you. Just to think that a 200 lb of weight is going to drop on your knee joint, it will put you in "defense" mode and that's for sure.

Which is I think the thing.

There is a reason why people don't shoot in on head kicks. And that is because the risk is generally too great. So a fly kick generally forces a defensive movement rather than a counter movement.

Forcing a defensive movement can give you a free opening. So that even if the kick does not pay off In a fight ending move. It pays off in a set up.

As a method of covering fifteen Meters and then engaging people it has its strengths.

You don't get much counter target. Eg I run in and punch. My head is exposed for a counter punch. I crib forwards in stance I am open to a blind side attack. I run that is a hard target to hit. And they have to side step and re enter to engage me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Forcing a defensive movement can give you a free opening.
The integration of striking and grappling is to use your

- kick to set up your punch,
- punch to set up your clinch,
- clinch to set up your throw,
- throw to set up your ground work (or follow on strike).

A kick can be just your 1st step "set up". There are many steps after that. Here is a good example.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the whole clip was worth watching. A lot of it was similar to things we train in Krav but the intensity of their training is fantastic. Made me wish I was forty years younger. :)

Yes, it was a very good clip! If there was a Kaju school near me or if I lived in a state that had one, I'd be there is a heartbeat!

Lone Wolf

White Belt
Reaction score
Half related, i know it can't be taken seriously and the kids had no idea what they are doing but still it's nice to see something fancy actually work every so often xD
However, what they were doing is ridiculous as nearly anything could have happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That guy is lucky he did not break something like a wrist/arm on the way down or land on the back of his head.

Haven't come across a double ko from one yet.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't come across a double ko from one yet.

I'm really not sure the point your trying to make, or if you're even trying to make a point. It almost seems you're just trying to run up you post count to get to the next belt level. It seems like you spend an inordinate amount of time on YT. Your latest video offering isn't a self defense situation either. It is one clown kicking another clown from the side and not even doing a good job because he lands on his butt. All the while they're in the middle of traffic. And the guy he kicked got back up anyway. So we have;

Ineffective kick...check.
Piss poor situational awareness...check.
Bad location to have a brawl...check.
No self defense involved...check.

So are you making a point or trying to run up the post count?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really not sure the point your trying to make, or if you're even trying to make a point. It almost seems you're just trying to run up you post count to get to the next belt level. It seems like you spend an inordinate amount of time on YT. Your latest video offering isn't a self defense situation either. It is one clown kicking another clown from the side and not even doing a good job because he lands on his butt. All the while they're in the middle of traffic. And the guy he kicked got back up anyway. So we have;

Ineffective kick...check.
Piss poor situational awareness...check.
Bad location to have a brawl...check.
No self defense involved...check.

So are you making a point or trying to run up the post count?

LOL, you took the words right out of my mouth. IMHO, YT does not equal what works/doesn't work. I saw nothing but low life pieces of **** in that last clip, most of which had no skill.