Flying armbar countering leg pick/sweep used vs roundhouse to ribcage.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will be playing with this next time I spar.

My reluctance to sacrifice throws and other sacrifices (such as a flying armbar) is mitigated by the issue of loss of stucture when someone has a legpick locked in and can sweep.

The positional disaster of a successful legpick... has earned this a measured evaluation.

To avoid the legpic in general..
My constant advice is make your kicks fast and your pull back to chamber, faster.

But you never know when you will be kicking against someone with very fast arms.

Also.. don't telegraph that your intent is to kick.
or if you do fake the intent and get them habituated that kicking is a bluff, just for entry... and then follow through with a powerkick.

Also this is why i recommend kicks at the knee or rear of the thigh (if you have obtained the flank)... dont kick where they have reach to grab.

Unless it is a sudden jumping spinning back kick to the head.

But this is something a Muy Thai based striker who is doing mma could use.

Given that I dont practice the flying armbar much to begin with... I see the kicker doing a lapel grab as the first transitional move. I don't know if this is intentional or for demonstration purposes.

But this brings me to my question. How would anyone here at MT... who is into No Gi handle that in a no gi context?

My thoughts would be to grab the interior bicep of the armbar target until your shoulders are on the ground and slide up to your other hand when your read to bar the arm. Pelvic bone below the elbow etc.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started to reply regarding the speed and telegraph of the kick in the video until I read your second post. You make very valid points. I was more impressed by the kickers counter. Grabbing cloth and pulling through into his own arm-bar was brilliant. These are the kinds of techniques have to be experienced in real time to be fully appreciated. Much, much harder than it looks in the video.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actual application in an MMA fight:

Ok forearm to rear of the head. Pull in to smother face.
(Another Nihanchi application, its the same gross motor muscle memory)

Wrestled the arm out while face down.

Rolled over into the lock.

Thank you, Tony, for the link.

I was talking with my Doshinkan assistant instructor (Renshi Akita) tonight about it. He has dan in judo
He said grab you can the neck or anything.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started to reply regarding the speed and telegraph of the kick in the video until I read your second post. You make very valid points. I was more impressed by the kickers counter. Grabbing cloth and pulling through into his own arm-bar was brilliant. These are the kinds of techniques have to be experienced in real time to be fully appreciated. Much, much harder than it looks in the video.

But if you can drill it enough times, that pulling it off has a high 65% or better rate of success... it becomes a good sneaky attack. Throwing a lazy roundhouse... not so poor as to be seen as bait... but acting a little gassed out... heavy breathing... and repeating the kick to trigger the legpick....

and then bam... armbar. That is a sneaky play.

I suppose that since i don't do inner reap sweeps off a leg pick, like this, it never occurred to me.

My first inclination is to stomp and pin the foot of the supporting leg followed by hook punch to the ribs straight up the line of the outstretched leg, simultaneously putting my other hand right up to their face.

The startle and head tilt / obstructed view ensures they are very off balance, and dont see the hook coming.

This tends to be enough forward energy to topple anyone that i have been there with.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actual application in an MMA fight:
The rule that was taught was. "If you catch a leg, then do something with it quickly. Don't just hold it. The person who caught the kick didn't know what to do next. The person who had his leg trap knew what to do next.