Fixed number of classes for a belt?

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just looked at the website, and it's pretty clear they're talking about stripes. Looks pretty legit to me, most of the instructors seem to have trained at some point directly with the Gracie academy in Torrance. If I were you I would go for it no question!

NubreedKaliSilat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about 6 weeks for a Blue Belt? But the school may mean for White Belt levels. I know at my school they go by 1-4 levels of White belt, and then 1-4 levels of Blue Belt etc. It would make more sence to me that way!

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking into a school for BJJ because it really interests me andI came across a school around me that is fairly reputable (I won't mention the name out of respect for them) yet while looking through their brazilian jiu-jitsu section I noticed it says "When a student demonstrates that he or she has reached a certain amount of classes they will be evaluated for a promotion. As a general rule, white belts can expect to advance approximately every 30 classes attended." Does this sound fishy to you? Assuming someone trained 5 times a week-and from what I hear that's not uncommon-they would reach a blue belt in 6 weeks. I frequently hear that 1 1/2 years is the minimum for the most part.

Sounds like crap, every person is a little different. A fixed number doesnt seem realistic.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would imagine the reason they put this information in their FAQ's is because people keep asking. Alot of people dont realize that in order to progress thru any belt system in any martial arts you actually have to attend class and complete the required material. One more constraint BJJ has on its students is the fact that they have to actually utilize their learned skills to show progression.

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The school I go to does 20 classes to earn your next stripe, and once you hit 100 classes (or therabouts) you are eligible for your blue belt but it's not a given. I have seen very few who don't, and those are guys who just don't have the mat time. I've also seen guys with massive mat time and are basically training at a blue belt level no matter what their belt is get promoted before the 100 classes. I notice that most of our guys hit that level in 8 months to a year, if you are diligent.

me....well I'm in no hurry to get that belt...I want to know in my head and heart that I'm ready for it.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
The caveat is "Eligible", not only that but I tell you that in my class you may be eligible. However, that doesn't mean I will test you unless you meet my requirements of aptitude.

Beyond that, it seems that these folks are talking about stripes on the belt not from one belt to another.

PurpleParham84

White Belt
Reaction score
It means you have paid enough monthly dues that by them giving you a free belt, while being one of the proudest moments of your life, it costs them nearly nothing, and now you have proven your dedication and willingness to keep paying them.

Advice: Join a non-profit organization if possible. Promotions there are not only legit, but far more rewarding. If this is not possible, find an affiliate school, one that is NOT run by a big name Brazilian, but its instructors are affiliated with them. Quality of training is same at both, prices will vary, and promotions will be given when due, not to keep you writing checks.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends what they mean by advance. If they mean possibly getting a strip, then that seems sensible. If they mean a new belt than yeah that sounds a little strange.

I remember this, and while I have no doubt that money may be a factor is some cases, I think part of the reason people advance faster now days may have to do with increased access to higher level instructors and training partners. I know that when I was training in a school run by a blue belt everyone progressed really slow, but when I started having regular access to brown and black belts I improved a lot quicker.

Getting a stripe every 30 classes does not seem too fast. The average guy comes in 2-3 times per week. If they come in 10 times in one month then they would have their Blue belt in 15 months barring injury (which would be inevitable if they were training hard 6 days a week) . Also they are saying it is just an evaluation. My BJJ Master (Yes, he has been around for more than 32 years and we call him master) has kept people at the same rank for a long time and also promoted others quickly. It all depends on 2 things :
1. Mat time...there is no substitute
2. How good your teachers and training partners are
Nuff said...now go train

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, seems fine. Like others have posted it seems more like 'at this point we'll consider looking at testing you'.

I think the big factor as msmith said above is mat hours and level of instruction/partners. I learn _way_ faster when Rigan is in town than when I'm training with the blues/purples. Now if only I could get a straight block of like 3 years heh.

Latest Discussions