Five Family - Five Animal kungfu - As taught by GM Ark Yuey Wong

gstat2

White Belt
Reaction score
My name is Gary Steuer. I started with GM Ark Yuey Wong when I returned to the United States in 1968 . I'm a former U.S. Marine ,who got the opportunity to study in Okinawa under Master Shimabuku , then to Vietnam , and studied with Korean Marines, then to Hong Kong to study Iron Palm. I returned to New York from Vietnam ,and then on to Los Angeles , Calornia to try to get a chance to study with the Grand Master . I came with a letter of recommendation ,but that didn't mean too much to GM Wong.. After about 6 attempts , he let me " Try. " . well , I stayed loyal to him until 1986. I have posted videos on youtube under - gary steuer kungfu - .. Evidently there is a Steve Steuer....who studied with GM Wong...Sorry , I would have known him , but I don't . End of story . I will try to answer any and all questions anyone might have about our style , or anyone who is connected with it .. I have lived in Thailand for more than 20 years now. I've had some illness due to Agent Orange while in Vietnam . I can deal with it . Hope you people have questions !

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I`ve always heard that GM Wong taught kind of a mix of northern and southern Shaolin. What was training with him like? What did he think was important in your training? I remember reading an article on him when I was a kid and thinking that he seemed very practical and straight forward in his approach to fighting.

OP
G

gstat2

White Belt
Reaction score
GM Wong taught the 5 Family style as he had learned it . He also knew 2 other styles , that he couldn't teach to anyone . Those were his personal family styles... The style he taught was as it should be , Northern & Southern . Differences came about through long seperations of styles & teachers. There really is only one style. The offshoots have their own variations and techniques , due to terrain , and differences in people. The 5 Family style takes into consideration all those differences , and someone will be able to adapt themselves to the style. Problem is when someone has learned a piece and then passes it on in the strict way they had learned it with no variences.. Then a style becomes altered. Every different person will find what is good for their bodies to use in the 5 Animals , as each animal is different.. Is why you have to learn the 5 , so that you know the defenses for the others.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have your dvd and loved it. Any more plans to produce more in the future?

OP
G

gstat2

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the post! We have a DVD in progress , that should be a lot better than the first , until then I'm posting clips on youtube. Go to - gary steuer kungfu .. Posted 6 + already...

OP
G

gstat2

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive replies ! Just want to let you know we have a proboard a/c , and you can ask questions, or just enjoy ..
http://5familykungfu.proboards.com Videos are there are also , so you can practice the forms as GM Ark Yeuy Wong taught them .

Latest Discussions