Fitting FMA into MMA

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lol. Lumpia is excellent training food! At least, that's what I tell myself.
Well it will test your alertness once the food coma hits... lol.

Going back to the original topic, I invited my family to watch UFC 100 (believe me, I was surprised they all enjoyed it) and my dad and I got to talking about how the fighters do a lot of conditioning drills, like what's shown in UFC: All Access. He mentioned that if I'd been living in the Philippines in his time, most likely I'd be holding down a manual labor job, and that might've been conditioning enough.

Of course, it might've been offset by all that San Miguel... lol.

Last edited:

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As Carol said, it was a general comment addressed to everyone.

When a quote is posted, the next sentence/paragraph usually refers to that. When, as I posted, there is a space before the next comment, it is a general one, people shouldn't assume in that case the post is directed totally at them. People are assuming that because their quote is at the top the whole post is directed at them.

I wasn't assuming anything. That's why I asked for clarification.

Bottom line: That logic cuts both ways. His personal attack on you could have been reported to a mod. And any one of his posts could have been ignored. But at the end of the day, this is between you two. So I'm off.

Stuart

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't assuming anything. That's why I asked for clarification.

Bottom line: That logic cuts both ways. His personal attack on you could have been reported to a mod. And any one of his posts could have been ignored. But at the end of the day, this is between you two. So I'm off.

Stuart

The problem being of course that anything put on here, the internet, is basically there forever and when someone writes stuff that is erroneous other readers will then think thats the truth, If I posted up that FMA consisted of Judo and Muay Thai and everyone ignored that post, there would be people out there thinking they wouldn't bother learning FMA because of that, it should be challenged don't you think?

I rarely report posts unless they are particularly nasty, I deemed this to be a particularly bland attack tbh so was hardly going to report it. My curiosity is piqued however about what the attack was about hence my replying, I thought he'd actually say why he was so peeved with me and yes, as the attack was made on the public forums yes, it should also be explained on the public forums, it's hardly just between 'us two'.
Making attacks on people on here is everyones business after all it's your space too and washing your hands of it won't stop the next one by anyone who wants to make one, perhaps against you.

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lol. Lumpia is excellent training food! At least, that's what I tell myself.
Well it will test your alertness once the food coma hits... lol.

You both said it. Do any circuit training with a gut full of our standard cuisine and I guarantee it'll be a constant battle not to throw up. Heck I once had pork adobo Grandma had made before one circuit training workout. I nearly puked with my first set...

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The problem being of course that anything put on here, the internet, is basically there forever and when someone writes stuff that is erroneous other readers will then think thats the truth, If I posted up that FMA consisted of Judo and Muay Thai and everyone ignored that post, there would be people out there thinking they wouldn't bother learning FMA because of that, it should be challenged don't you think?

I rarely report posts unless they are particularly nasty, I deemed this to be a particularly bland attack tbh so was hardly going to report it. My curiosity is piqued however about what the attack was about hence my replying, I thought he'd actually say why he was so peeved with me and yes, as the attack was made on the public forums yes, it should also be explained on the public forums, it's hardly just between 'us two'.
Making attacks on people on here is everyones business after all it's your space too and washing your hands of it won't stop the next one by anyone who wants to make one, perhaps against you.

Look mate, I'm not new to internet forums. I understand all the pros and cons here. And I'm not washing my hands. But the fact is that what's been done so far isn't working. And nothing I do is going to prompt you and this JKD bloke to work things out constructively. That's up to you two. This ceased to be about FMA pages ago.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look mate, I'm not new to internet forums. I understand all the pros and cons here. And I'm not washing my hands. But the fact is that what's been done so far isn't working. And nothing I do is going to prompt you and this JKD bloke to work things out constructively. That's up to you two. This ceased to be about FMA pages ago.

Sorry but I'm not 'mate'.
The thread is now about food, hadn't you noticed :)

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Does that mean we're hostile now? I certainly hope not. I'm certainly not viewing us that way. Or are you saying that because you're a woman? If so, sorry. I guess I hadn't really thought of the term as gender specific. I call all my friends "guys" regardless.

My apologies if it was the wrong term. It's been a great many years since I've been home to England. My vocab may be rusty.

Well, I'll happily decimate a plate of lumpia. So I can get behind that discussion as well.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here's a clip I just found on youtube of MMA in the Philippines.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Well, Tez3, Filipinos are the consummate gourmands of Asia. We tend to make enough food to feed a battalion for several days (or a Filipino family for a week) in one sitting.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that mean we're hostile now? I certainly hope not. I'm certainly not viewing us that way. Or are you saying that because you're a woman? If so, sorry. I guess I hadn't really thought of the term as gender specific. I call all my friends "guys" regardless.

My apologies if it was the wrong term. It's been a great many years since I've been home to England. My vocab may be rusty.

Well, I'll happily decimate a plate of lumpia. So I can get behind that discussion as well.

Not in the least hostile but mate is a male 'endearment' lol! 'Guys' is the archetypical American word to us lol, that and 'high five'! Guys is very def a 'male' word to us, women here would look askance at being called that even after years of American telly programmes.

Everyone tends to think British food is awful but we have some wonderful regional dishes many of which should never be eaten before training!

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not in the least hostile but mate is a male 'endearment' lol! 'Guys' is the archetypical American word to us lol, that and 'high five'! Guys is very def a 'male' word to us, women here would look askance at being called that even after years of American telly programmes.

My fault. As I say, I haven't lived in England for many years. Two thirds of my life actually. No offense intended.

Everyone tends to think British food is awful but we have some wonderful regional dishes many of which should never be eaten before training!

Hell, I'd be happy if we could get one local shop to sell Cornish pasties. Making them myself is a right pain in the backside.

Stuart

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well as far as British food goes, Fish and Chips is a special weakness of mine for after training (once consumed a basket before training and promptly walked out of the gym to vomit behind a bush...)

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The MMA scene in the PI seems to be growing exponentially. I'd assume that a lot of the FMA schools there already have a MMA competition team if not only to market their schools. Considering the likelihood of a saturated MA market (all markets seem to be saturated in the PI) competition will be:

1- Tough because these dudes are strong, train to hit hard and fast (in the FMAs)

2- Are proactively going out to train sub grappling as a sport in iteself, instead of the transition to gi bjj to nogi sub grappling.

Look at the old clips of Filipino MMA, and you'll see some sloppy, but fundamental technique and look at those same fighters now, practically ripping each others' heads off.

What I do catch a lot in Filipino MMA is the popularity of t-shirts (not even rash guards) in competition. What would be a really cool thing to see is the fighters actually using their opponent's t-shirt in a sub. It would bring SD elements, and add another range into a fighter's game.

Hmm. My million dollar idea. For free. On Martial Talk. Word.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What I do catch a lot in Filipino MMA is the popularity of t-shirts (not even rash guards) in competition. What would be a really cool thing to see is the fighters actually using their opponent's t-shirt in a sub. It would bring SD elements, and add another range into a fighter's game.

Hmm. My million dollar idea. For free. On Martial Talk. Word.
I saw a lot of t-shirts and tanktops and even gi pants worn on the first URCC event. Sadly, I think it's because some of them were on the diet we've been discussing.

Latest Discussions