First thing you wanted to learn

Tabris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To be honest, I wanted to be able to just stop my brother-in-law from beating me up :whip:

then I wanted to be able to just learn what my friend (who was three belts higher then me) knew already. All my dreams came true, yay for me yes? :ultracool

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think the first thing I wanted to learn was praying mantis forms. The mantis has ALWAYS been my favorite animal, and I had started learning the mantis style got pretty decent too. Then I started loving how little effort it took to throw someone Aikido style, so I got into Aikido type moves. Then I seen my friend belt testing last night, and he had to spar someone using Monkey Style, and I fell in love, now I wanna learn that lol.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My first class I was really happy to be there had all kinds of things going on in my mind. Then class was about to start and this realy nice,
girl came out of the other changing room and in the class. She had blue eyes and was to me WOW. So all I wanted to know in my first class now was what is her name.

kosho

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to learn the 5 point palm exploding heart technique.

Only joking. When I started, I was not after anything specific, just to learn kung-fu (first style was a high kicking northern Shaolin style).

I would still like to feel very comfortable sparring and grappling. I am now too old to even think about fancy kicking.

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My first class I was really happy to be there had all kinds of things going on in my mind. Then class was about to start and this realy nice,
girl came out of the other changing room and in the class. She had blue eyes and was to me WOW. So all I wanted to know in my first class now was what is her name.

kosho

That is a great story!

For me, well I was about 13 at the time and I don't remember for sure. I do remember loving the way sidekicks looked, though. And wanting to know how to throw someone.

newmartialartist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The first thing I wanted to learn is how to defend myself from anything, mainly punches and kicks.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do believe it's because I wanted to learn Drunken Boxing initially. Along side of that, though, was a desire for discipline, balance and some grace.

My balance is much better.

tad2bad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Im just like most of you. When I was younger my dad took me to a martial arts demonstration and I fell in love. I think it was something about the grace and fluidity of it all. I wanted to learn it all, but I had no idea then that it would take as long as it has.

Love to Learn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i was almost 16 when i started (now 17 :) ) and i was very shy and backward when i started training, i guess i just wanted my confidence to come out and learn not to be afraid.

Now im much more confident and loving training :)

Almost

White Belt
Reaction score
I have to say that for me it was Bo staff. Good that was awesome... Just to watch the grace of the spinning and jabs and all the cool moves. When I realized that I wouldn't learn that for a while i was kinda bummed but it didn't last long. After rank test my Sifu would generally teach extra circular material or material we shouldn't know for a long time. That is when I was introduced to Prance of the Panther. Now I'm in love with the animal forms, Panther/Leopard in particular.

I must say that having a friend who was a test away from getting his BB I say him do a lot of cool forms and heard a lot of cool stories. After hearing some of those stories, my new goal is to stick around long enough to at least see the Unarmed Man battle set. One guy has a sword, one has nothing... It hasn't been seen in my system for a long time and i believe only 2 people know it. Either way that is my new goal.

Almost

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Side split and spinning jump kicks. Inspired by Van Damme in 'Bloodsport'. (I know, I know, ...)
Of course, I learned quite early that real MA is nothing like in the movies.
Although I have to admit that Steven Saegal seemed to know what he was doing in his early movies.

Over the 3.5 years I practised Jiu-Jitsu I got good at technical stuff and grapling.
Even today after 8 years of being inactive in MA (Genbukan ninpo since 2 months) I am very flexible in all joints in most directions, EXCEPT regarding side splits. That is still a far off dream for me.

TomoeTamara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gee, I wasn't sure if this thread was dead.......but I'll throw down too!!!

My first ever martial art was Tae Kwon Do. I took it for 1 1/2 yrs and received a blue belt.
TKD mainly utilizes kicks....so I was obviouly drawn to the first awesome kicking demonstration I witnessed. I saw a blackbelt from our dojang run across the floor, sail effortlessly thru the air, and gracefully executed a spinning back kick right into the bag. The bag bend in half around his foot and swung with great power from one side of the ceiling to the other.
MY JAW WAS ON THE FLOOR!!

NOW-picture this very young 11 yr old very small girl.....running towards the bag (with not much training at this point) and try to execute the same move. :mst: :mst:

As soon as my foot connected with the bag (and it barely did)
I fell flat on my face like a ton of bricks!!!! :uhyeah: :uhyeah:

YES...it IS ok to laugh at yourself and your beginning exploits.
You know -- we have ALL been there.

OOOH....there's a good thread...has it been done yet???

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well i went in wanting to learn how to use a weapon like a staff, somthing were the equivalant would be very easy to find in the immediate enviroment.

a couple minutes into the class i decieded that i wanted to learn breakfalls really good and be able to do diving rolls. but i still would like the weapons idea. wrist locks are also big on my mind.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was to learn to fly over houses like in those Kung Fu movies and yes I have finally relized it was all fake, crushed my dreams.

Da Supa Freak

White Belt
Reaction score
Being quite the pragmatic person who's only really just starting out at the moment, the first thing I want to learn are how to fall properly and roll. Actually, having just gone through rolling for the first time today was a lot of fun, I must say.

As a small guy who was a Jr. High and High School wrestler, grappling and locks are also areas I want to really learn a lot in.

Scotty

White Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to learn how to defend myself. When I did some research of self defense martial arts I was instantly attracted to kenpo. During my first class I saw how quick and practical the moves were. I wanted to be able to do those moves. Still learning them one class at a time.

Latest Discussions