Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Huzzar!

Or "Hoo-rah" as our American cousins would say :).

I have my doubts about this film but I am easily won over by some swordplay :lol:.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judging by the clip, this movie would have been pretty cool as anything other than Conan. It's been awhile since I read the series (30 years?), but I don't remember anything remotely close to that in the book. What should happen is that since the series followed Conan through his life, Arnie should pick up where he left off and come back as the usurper of Aquilonia with his bast...oh wait, that was real. Nevermind...

Of course I'll watch it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. I've been lukewarm about this film to this point, but that was pretty friggin awesome.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The kid is definitely a bad ***... pretty gruesome FX as well... hopefully it won't be TOO much... blood and gore has it's place of course but some directors tend to overkill. But the scene was exciting and while not from anything in the books, it doesn't matter... same as the Star Wars or Star Trek universe and the novelizations of those... maybe see them on film maybe not. It's the story that counts. Time lines, events, characters... are all a part of the mythos... Conan is the modern day equivalent of greek or roman mythology. Same with Luke and Han, Kirk and Spock.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a great clip. But not the first scene in the movie. The first scene starts in his mother's uterus with a blade piercing it and young Conan being pulled out of his mother's womb.

Love that clip though, always thought the Picts were a cool creation.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That kid and the little girl from kick *** should team up.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually excited about this as the ads have got me into it.

Will it suck? I hope not, probably won't be the best Conan movie they could have made but I have a feeling it will be alright after seeing that clip.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay. I've been lukewarm about this film to this point, but that was pretty friggin awesome.
same

as said though above it could be any other name though. wont live up to conan but perhaps it'll be a good film in its own right.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a great clip. But not the first scene in the movie. The first scene starts in his mother's uterus with a blade piercing it and young Conan being pulled out of his mother's womb.

Love that clip though, always thought the Picts were a cool creation.

It was the first scene released from the movie, not the first scene in the movie. Sorry my title was a little bit ambiguous.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first scene starts in his mother's uterus with a blade piercing it and young Conan being pulled out of his mother's womb.

Ewwww! Way to put me off going to see the movie, Omar :lol:.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
same

as said though above it could be any other name though. wont live up to conan but perhaps it'll be a good film in its own right.
Won't live up to Conan? You mean it won't live up to anything written by Robert E. Howard or Sprague DeCamp??
Hmm, so I guess it's okay that Christopher Nolan butchered the Batman/Dark Knight mythology but it's not okay to do it to Conan?
Neither of those two ever existed so people can write whatever they want about them.
Did any of the scenes from the X-men films happen in the comics?
Spiderman?
Superman?
Tarzan?
Funny how Conan seems to be the only one everyone wants to be exactly as the author written/created him.
I loved reading Conan comics and have an extensive collection of both the regular colored versions and Savage Sword Of Conan as well as a couple of graphic novels and books. But I'm not upset or bothered in the least that the film versions haven't lifted verbatim from those books.

Lets wait til we see the (entire) final product and go from there.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Won't live up to Conan? You mean it won't live up to anything written by Robert E. Howard or Sprague DeCamp??
Hmm, so I guess it's okay that Christopher Nolan butchered the Batman/Dark Knight mythology but it's not okay to do it to Conan?
Neither of those two ever existed so people can write whatever they want about them.
Spiderman?
Superman?
Tarzan?
Funny how Conan seems to be the only one everyone wants to be exactly as the author written/created him.
I loved reading Conan comics and have an extensive collection of both the regular colored versions and Savage Sword Of Conan as well as a couple of graphic novels and books. But I'm not upset or bothered in the least that the film versions haven't lifted verbatim from those books.

I don't think that anyone expects a 100% faithful recounting of the books. There's an essence to the character, and what many would consider essential elements of the mythology. At some point, it's no longer Conan. It's just a big guy swinging a big sword. :)

I'm not saying that this is the case in this movie. I haven't seen it.

Personally, whether it's faithful to the original stories or not, is less of a concern of mine than if the movie is well made. I'd prefer a well done movie about a generic barbarian (Grognak anyone?) than a crappy Conan movie.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone expects a 100% faithful recounting of the books. There's an essence to the character, and what many would consider essential elements of the mythology. At some point, it's no longer Conan. It's just a big guy swinging a big sword. :)

I'm not saying that this is the case in this movie. I haven't seen it.

Personally, whether it's faithful to the original stories or not, is less of a concern of mine than if the movie is well made. I'd prefer a well done movie about a generic barbarian (Grognak anyone?) than a crappy Conan movie.
True that. Dunno why screen writers don't try faithful adaptations of the novels/comics as they're written, than come up with something new entirely... especially if they're only just marginally aware of the character's personality, defects, strengths, psychology, idealology, history and background. It's almost as if they scan the stories rather than read them cover to cover and get a basic idea that this is more than just a big guy swinging a big sword fighting huge armies, skilled opponents, wizards and fantastical creatures to eventually becoming a king.
Conan was many things throughout his literary career. Barbarian, thief, general, buccaneer, raver, mercenary, wanderer, and (again) eventually king.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ewwww! Way to put me off going to see the movie, Omar :lol:.

Yeah, a friend has the promo DVD they send with the actors to various talk shows when promoting a movie. The disc had the first half an hour of the movie in it's entirety, isolated clips from each actor, all the trailers, commercials, promotional images.

As for the adaptation itself. I read the novelization a couple weeks ago. It's still got that crap origin with the death of the Cimmerians (which never f-ing happened!) but it was a good read. For all it's divergence it actually came around to being REH's Conan half way through the show/book. It's about as close to the REH books as Robert Jordan was on his 6 attempts.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, a friend has the promo DVD they send with the actors to various talk shows when promoting a movie. The disc had the first half an hour of the movie in it's entirety, isolated clips from each actor, all the trailers, commercials, promotional images.

As for the adaptation itself. I read the novelization a couple weeks ago. It's still got that crap origin with the death of the Cimmerians (which never f-ing happened!) but it was a good read. For all it's divergence it actually came around to being REH's Conan half way through the show/book. It's about as close to the REH books as Robert Jordan was on his 6 attempts.

When I first read the Conan stories, I was kind of surprised when Conan's people were alive and well. Never ONCE mentioned that even his village was destroyed or anything close to that. In fact, other than stating that he was a fierce warrior when he was younger and being captured as a slave not much is really said about his early days.

I'll have to get the book adaptation, I'm itching for a Conan book.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
Spiderman?
Superman?
Tarzan?

wooOOOAAAHHHHH TTHHhhere!! chill out man!

i meant it wont live up to the sheer presence that Arnie brought to the '82 movie (im going to pretend the abortion tv series with Ralf Moeller never existed)

i didnt even know conan was a marvel char until i just looked it up after you err 'mentioned' it there. growing up in the 80s Arnie = Conan to me and I dont think the 'Ronan' (guy played Ronon in Stargate Atlantis) version will live up to it.

like i said though, its got potential, but im not sure it'll be what i consider a conan movie.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
wooOOOAAAHHHHH TTHHhhere!! chill out man!

i meant it wont live up to the sheer presence that Arnie brought to the '82 movie (im going to pretend the abortion tv series with Ralf Moeller never existed)

i didnt even know conan was a marvel char until i just looked it up after you err 'mentioned' it there. growing up in the 80s Arnie = Conan to me and I dont think the 'Ronan' (guy played Ronon in Stargate Atlantis) version will live up to it.

like i said though, its got potential, but im not sure it'll be what i consider a conan movie.

Most Conan fans don't consider Arnie's movie "real Conan" either. It was NOT how he was portrayed in the REH books, but many people like it. I first saw Arnie's Conan when I was about 7 years old, so I relate to that movie and still really like it. When I was older and read the original Conan stories, I realized that Arnie wasn't really much like the books.

Here is a new book that just came out as well from Robert Howard's stories. There are 6 of his original stories that "inspired" this movie if you want to check them out.
http://www.amazon.com/Conan-Barbarian-stories-inspired-movie/dp/034553123X/ref=pd_sim_b_1#_

For those Howard fans the stories are:
1) Queen of the Black Coast
2) Tower of the Elephant
3) Phoenix on the Sword
4) Red Nails
5) Rogues in the House
6) People of the Black Circle

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

I was thinking about this and his "origin" I wonder if they left it in and re-wrote it to try and merge the old Arnie movie into the Howard stories that they tried to make it this time. Since so many people are familiar with the Arnold version maybe they thought it wouldn't go over well if they changed that part of the story even though it wasn't in the Howard stories. Just pondering out loud again...