First Rule of SD: Run

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take it a step further and say the first rule is awareness. With enough awareness, you can avoid having to run.

QFT! If you can 'see' the potential bad situation before it happens, you can simply keep walking, rather than running, because you'll never let it get to that running point...hopefully. :)

Good points! :)

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
A 10 year old yellow belt once told his sensei that did not cut four yards a week to pay for Karate classes to do push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, and horse stances for almost half of the class. He wanted to learn how to fight. That scared me, I ducked!

His sensei told me I teach you karate just in case the push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, and horse stances don't get enough fat off of your body for you to run away fast enough. He was right and it took me an extra four months for my orange belt test. lol.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In one of the first 1/2 episodes of Kung-Fu.One of the Sifu's answered Caines question about dealing with violence..It went " We at the Sholin Temple have a long standing practice, run away" or something similar..

I think this line is in the same scene...

I was wrong.. The passage I speak up is in the pilot episode for Kung-Fu...The passage you posted comes after the below scene I spoke of, except I had the wording wrong..

Caine: Master Tay?

Master Tay: Yes Student Caine?

Caine: What is the best way to deal with force?

Master Tay: As we prize peace and quiet above victory, there is a simple and prefered method.

Caine: What is that?

Master Tay: Run away

Last edited:

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Avoid confrontation whenever possible. Makes sense to me, no problems with that. However, to place the idea in a student's mind that they've already failed if they don't manage to avoid the confrontation is to instill a sense of failure in them.

IT'S NOT OUR FAULT IF SOMEONE LAUNCHES AN UNPROVOKED ATTACK

Am I going to turn my back and try to outrun them (even world class athletes, which I'm certainly not, are only as good as their last race)? No. I'll take my chances where I stand.

I do see a big difference here. Avoidance is one thing, being face to face with some character that wants to inflict tremendous damage to our bodies is something else.

Turn your back on a blade/duster/bat then run yourself into the ground at your own peril.

Best Wishes,
William

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All self-defense can be boiled down to 4 steps: distract; release; stun; run.

But the best self-defense follows Sun Tzu's guidelines:

Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles
is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists
in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
I interpret that to mean control your environment. Plain and simple, don't be there when the fight starts.

I agree with the concept that if it comes to blows, you did something wrong....but only 99% of the time. There are rare situations where you do everything right, but the bad guy still jumps up out of the weeds and takes you by surprise.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first rule of SD is this... The rule of 3 stupids. If you don't go to Stupid places with Stupid people and do Stupid things you'll greatly reduce your chances of becoming a victim.

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, you can follow the 'rule of the three stupids' and wake up in the middle of the night to find your property invaded by ne'er-do-wells. Which brings us back to the original question, are we prepared to run (from our own home)?

Regards,
William