First Muslim elected to Congress

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is "NOI"?

Nation of Islam

And why not link to the wiki entry on the organization ... rather than the wiki article on the criticisms on the organization?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_on_American-Islamic_Relations

Or perhaps even better, link to the website of the organization.

http://www.cair.com/

Sorry. I participate in another forum that is more WOT specific. I tend to assume that people already know what CAIR is, and was linking to the entry that pertained to what I was trying to say.

Alas, I'm still on a 56k dialup! Getting a new computer soon though.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CNN has opinion shows and it has news shows. Many of the news channels have opinion/pundit/talking heads type shows. Do you really think they should commit to only news or only opinion? That seems pretty limiting. Newspapers runs op-ed pieces all the time. Is this a problem too?
Some of them can get pretty nasty; I don't want Molly Ivins banned from my local paper.

I didn't see Mr. Beck's show, but I did see the clip to which you are referring on The Daily Show last night. The rapport between Mr. Beck and Mr. Ellison and the delivery of the statement's quoted in this thread came off much differently in the video clip than when I read them on this thread. It's interesting how context and expressions can change how statements are perceived.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CNN has opinion shows and it has news shows. Many of the news channels have opinion/pundit/talking heads type shows. Do you really think they should commit to only news or only opinion? That seems pretty limiting. Newspapers runs op-ed pieces all the time. Is this a problem too?
Some of them can get pretty nasty; I don't want Molly Ivins banned from my local paper.

I didn't see Mr. Beck's show, but I did see the clip to which you are referring on The Daily Show last night. The rapport between Mr. Beck and Mr. Ellison and the delivery of the statement's quoted in this thread came off much differently in the video clip than when I read them on this thread. It's interesting how context and expressions can change how statements are perceived.

I think there needs to be more clarity between news and commentary. I don't think people confuse The Daily Show with news (except intentionally). But I am not certain the distinction between commentary and news on channels like CNN and FOX are clear. See the recent Fox News memo informing reporters to be on the look out for the Democratic Electoral Victory as 'Good News' to the 'terrorists'.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, instead Beck being a racist, he's just impossibly stupid.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this letter should be added to this discussion. It originates, I believe, from the 5th Congressional District in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Representative Goode's office states that this letter was sent in response to a large number of inquiries.

So, it seems that if Mr. Beck is "impossibly stupid", there must be enough constitutents in the 5th Congressional District of Virginia that are also properly described in that category

December 7, 2006

Mr. John Cruickshank
7—— S—————————— Dr.
Earlysville, VA 22936

Dear Mr. Cruickshank:

Thank you for your recent communication. When I raise my hand to take the oath on Swearing In Day, I will have the Bible in my other hand. I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way. The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don’t wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran. We need to stop illegal immigration totally and reduce legal immigration and end the diversity visas policy pushed hard by President Clinton and allowing many persons from the Middle East to come to this country. I fear that in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America and to prevent our resources from being swamped.

The Ten Commandments and “In God We Trust” are on the wall in my office. A Muslim student came by the office and asked why I did not have anything on my wall about the Koran. My response was clear, “As long as I have the honor of representing the citizens of the 5th District of Virginia in the United States House of Representatives, The Koran is not going to be on the wall of my office.” Thank you again for your email and thoughts.

Sincerely yours,
Virgil H. Goode, Jr.
70 East Court Street
Suite 215
Rocky Mount, Virginia 24151

emphasis added

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was not my intention, nor do I think it was my action, to call you a name, nor to sling mud.

Does Mr. Beck have the right of free speech? Of course.

Does Mr. Beck's employer have the right to publish freely? Of course.

But let's not assume that Mr. Beck is the 'PRESS'. His employer, the company is the 'PRESS'. And they have the right to be bigotted if they wish. But, should they exercise that choice, let's not confuse them with 'NEWS'.

If these are the choice being made by these people. Let us be clear and remove the first N from the broadcaster in question. They are no longer a 'NEWS' network. They are an 'Opinion' network. Or they are a 'Commentary' network.

Lastly, I don't think I have called for anyone's rights to be taken away. I will gladly look at any references, and either a) admit I was wrong or b) attempt to clarify what I meant.

What I have called for the exposition of discernment where there is obfuscation.
Mike I'm starting not to like Glenn Beck; because, he is hell bent on attching everything to a comming religious apocolypse; however, he did qualify his statement. He was pointing out a sentiment that exists. Please, hate Glenn Beck but not for this.
Sean

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mike I'm starting not to like Glenn Beck; because, he is hell bent on attching everything to a comming religious apocolypse; however, he did qualify his statement. He was pointing out a sentiment that exists. Please, hate Glenn Beck but not for this.
Sean

I don't hate Glenn Beck. In fact, I hardly know who he is. What I am attempting to do by pointing out his language, is to expose those who undermine the very principles upon which our country was founded.

Is religious freedom something we value in this country, or is something to which we offer lip service?

Now, if we don't believe we should have a First Amendment ... guaranteeing the citizens freedom from a State Religion ... then demand all Representatives take an oath on the bible.

I personally think one of the items that makes our nation great, is that we ... theoretically, at least ... welcome all religions and beliefs ... and we welcome those who hold no beliefs in a higher power.

That a United States Representative follows Mr. Beck's language and tone, is in my opinion a dire circumstance for our country. Mr. Virgil Goode Jr. is an elected member of the United States House of Represenatitives. The letter he sent to hundreds of his consitutents said; "We got to keep out 'The Other'."

Is THAT what we have come to believe?

Are we so afraid, so scared, so terrified of everything that is in our world that we would demand one of our elected officials take an oath on a document that has no value to that elected official?

Have we sunk so low?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this letter should be added to this discussion. It originates, I believe, from the 5th Congressional District in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Representative Goode's office states that this letter was sent in response to a large number of inquiries.

So, it seems that if Mr. Beck is "impossibly stupid", there must be enough constitutents in the 5th Congressional District of Virginia that are also properly described in that category

That's the problem. Stupidity is contagious.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have another member of the United States Congress pissing all over the First Amendment to the Constitution.

Representative Robin Hayes (R-NC) said earlier this week

“Stability in Iraq ultimately depends on spreading the message of Jesus Christ, the message of peace on earth, good will towards men. Everything depends on everyone learning about the birth of the Savior.”

Apparently, imposing his religious beliefs on another society is his view of how to stop the killing -- apparently --- neglecting to notice that the nation with more Christians started the killing with 'Shock and Awe'.

Now, this is a bit of thread drift .... but, I don't think we have a better thread for this comment, at this time. We don't have a nutty Ann Coulter thread do we?

Oh, and if you visit his Congressional web site, there is an awful lot of 'Blue' in it ... and no mention of Party affiliation. That says a bunch too, doesn't it?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The oath of office for United States Representatives takes place on the House Floor and is administered by the Speaker of the House. No representative has their left hand on any document while taking the oath of office. They each raise their right hand and swear to defend the Constitution of the United States. All members, except the Speaker, take the oath at the same time.

After the swearing in, some members choose to exercise a 'fake' swearing in photo opportunity. (Cameras are not allowed on the House floor). Representative Elect Ellison will be using the Koran in this second, photo op, ceremony.

So, the answer to the question is: No, if he uses the Bible, it does not count, as he (and they) are already sworn into office. It will similarly not count if the book used is the Book of Morman, the Torah, or the Koran. It would not count if a repersentative used Mein Kampf, or Harry Potter and the Philosophers' Stone.

What this incident tells us, is not very much about Representative Elect Ellison - He's Muslem and we all know that - but it does tell us a great deal about some others; such as Glen Beck, and Represenative Goode, and Wolf Blitzer.

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are you not the same people who said that a non christian would never get elected?

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Being a Muslim should have nothing to do with whether he was elected or not. He should have been elected because he was the best for the job.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being a Muslim should have nothing to do with whether he was elected or not. He should have been elected because he was the best for the job.
And that is the key point - I agree completely. His religion may very well have influenced his personal morality (at least, I hope it did) and his personal morality may be part of why people voted for him - but his fitness for the job is what will keep him there, not his religious persuasion.

Latest Discussions