Finally a KKW 2nd Dan!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More Congrats to you Iceman! Just to wonder, what were the testing requirements for the illegitimate 2nd Dan?

I had to do all the Chang 'Hon tul up to Juche, breaking, sparring, weapons, proof of conditioning. It was a good test. The instructor claimed he was a big-whig with the ITF (& was in regular communication with the actual state ITF folks.) My cert. was as ITF as any piece of notebook paper. In reality, he had been promoted to 4th Dan through a small organization. When he had a falling out with his Sabumnim, he promoted himself to 6th Dan with a cert that looked just like mine. Many of the folks from our school went to actual ITF schools after. But many still only have these bogus certs. to back up their training.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started my TKD journey in 1982 testing for my 1st Dan KKW in 1985. Because my Sahbum moved away, I changed to what I thought was an ITF school. I tested for 2nd Dan & received a certificate that turned out to be bogus in 1988. I discovered the bogus certificate a few years later when I was laughed out of a GM's office when I showed him my certificate & enquired about testing for 3rd Dan. For a long time, I didn't think I'd ever get a recognized 2nd Dan.

As most of you know, I tested for 3rd Dan through GM Edward Sell's Us Chung Do Kwan Assoc in March. At the same time, I applied for my 2nd Dan KKW. I received it in the mail yesterday. I still cannot believe it has my name on it!

On here, we often talk about the McDojo's, masters who want nothing but $$, liars & wack-jobs we've met in TKD. I want to publically thank Grandmaster Sell for helping me exactly the way he said he would & so much more beyond that. He is truly a man of his word. Thank you, sir.:asian:

Congratulations on your accomplishment!

I'm sorry you had the bad experience in the past with the instructor.

R. McLain

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Right now the ITF is rather....disorganized...so it comes as little surprise. Personally, I would have thought that they would have looked at your skill, not just your credentials. Regardless, again, congrats on your KKW 2nd Dan! Keep training hard and enjoying it!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now the ITF is rather....disorganized...so it comes as little surprise. Personally, I would have thought that they would have looked at your skill, not just your credentials. Regardless, again, congrats on your KKW 2nd Dan! Keep training hard and enjoying it!

The thing about it was, the ITF folks never knew what he was telling us (his students). We hung out with ITF folks & we thought he was a "big whig". I'm sure the ITF actual big whigs just thought he liked hangin' around because we did the same forms.

Thanks again for the kudos.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats and well-deserved, Iceman! :asian:

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Iceman. I just wanted to add my congratulations. You know how much I respect you and what you are doing out there in California. Being so distant and removed from the rest of your Taekwondo sources can be a challenge, but I know you have been working hard to put it all together.

You're doing a great job out there, and you deserve the official recognition!

Congratulations!
Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, Iceman. I just wanted to add my congratulations. You know how much I respect you and what you are doing out there in California. Being so distant and removed from the rest of your Taekwondo sources can be a challenge, but I know you have been working hard to put it all together.

You're doing a great job out there, and you deserve the official recognition!

Congratulations!
Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart

I appreciate that a great deal, sir. Thank you:asian:

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah Geeze, here I go again. I know I am going to offend some people so just bear with me. Ok, uh, if GM Sell was so great why didn't he get you a skip dan to a 3rd KKW? It's not that freaking hard. I did it for a 2nd going for 4th who didn't have near the problems you did. Oh yeah, the 4th went through and he is now working on getting ready for his 5th.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah Geeze, here I go again. I know I am going to offend some people so just bear with me. Ok, uh, if GM Sell was so great why didn't he get you a skip dan to a 3rd KKW? It's not that freaking hard. I did it for a 2nd going for 4th who didn't have near the problems you did. Oh yeah, the 4th went through and he is now working on getting ready for his 5th.

Wade I believe Iceman wanted to get what he had tested for only since he never earned his third but only his second he wanted only that.

I also agree with you on the part of GM Sells he could have skipped Dan him to third with all the time he had between belts.

Wade when I get back I would love to talk to you regarding somethings OK.

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
CONGRATS, ICE MAN!.....on both receiving your official certification AND being so fortunate to have found an instructor with integrity and honor (as they all should be). I know I count my lucky stars to have met mine years ago. Best regards.....

-GARRY

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok Terry, what you got?

BTW, if things work out right looks like I'll be going for my 7th at the US Open next year. Do you know how hard it is to find GM's with enough rank and also the position to test you. Geeze.................................

Telos

White Belt
Reaction score
Sweet deal my man. Keep it up. You're halfway there!

Latest Discussions