Fight Clip

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That didn't look like any bagua I've ever seen.

It looked more like points karate plus judo. I'd put a lot of money on the chap in yellow being a judo player. It's not so much that he used judo throws, it's that he used the popular ones.

The clip shows why high kicks are a joke.

If the chap in black had been doing bagua rather than point sparring he wouldn't have got thrown constantly.

Still, the yellow chap could have out point fought the black bloke anyway.

OP
A

A.R.K.

It looked clearly that the fighter in yellow fought the fight HE wanted to fight. The fighter in black was trying to play keep up from the first time he got dumped.

Lot to be said for taking an opponent off his feet. Had this been a real fight on concrete, with no referee, the guy in black would not have gotten up after the first one.

:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by fist of fury
I thought I'd post this for discussion so we could take apart the fight. This is supposed to be kung fu, but I don't see any kung fu here it's vid clips like this that makes the mma'ers think this represents all traditional martial arts. There are some nice throws by the guy in yellow though.

http://emptyflower.stanford.edu/video/another_bagua_fight.WMV
It looks like a very watered down version of sport shuai chiao

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
High kicks can work just fine if you know how and when to use them. The fighter in black clearly didn't. He even looked off balance when he threw low kicks.

The dude in yellow for the most part just seem to wait for the guy in black to make mistakes, which there were no shortage off, then he just exploited them.

That guy dressed in black wasn't really trained in bagua, was he?

OP
C

chufeng

Two points...

1) The guy in black, although reportedly a BaGua practitioner, is NOT demonstrating BaGua.

2) He may have had training in something more akin to TKD before his alleged BaGua training...(I'm not trying to slam TKD here, but I've seen a lot of TKD tournaments)...notice how he bounces all around...how his hand techniques lack much "enthusiasm?"

The guy in Yellow is in a defensive mode...he allows "Thumper" to execute, and then he counters...

The throws are similar to Judo, but I think that he is simply showing the ShuaiChiao in his system...

Many TCMA teach strikes, chin na, shuai chiao, etc. (and yes, ALL of that is in the forms)...

I think the guy in yellow demonstrates how a defensive fighter can overcome the aggressor...(admittedly, this aggressor wasn't very aggressive...most techniques were tentative, at best).

:asian:
chufeng

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If he was trained in Tae Kwon do then he got as far as yellow stripe because those were the worst kicks I've ever seen in my life.... the yellow dude threw a couple of fast accurate kicks though.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Looking at a another fight on the same site, a more traditional kung fu player has a much better time against the 'yellow team'. All those TCMA anti-grappling stances pay off handsomely.

Having looked at the site, and I can now see that many of t he throws are more shuia chiao than judo, except for one. In the shuia chiao introduction it says that the rules state that after a throw you must remain standing. The ko uchi gari, which is the small sweep near the end is very judo, and has the thrower pushing orward and dropping with the player in black. It is one of the judo 'favourites' and relies a lot on the type of mat, you couldn't do it on grass.

I guess that the chap in yellow had done a bit of both.

OP
S

sweeper

the guy in black was an idiot.. what was up with that little jump thing he did (and got thrown for)? The other guy showed better skill, realy the black guy shouldn't have been fighting, he new nothing about ring fighting.