Great san-shou fight clip

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Thank you for posting the clip.

Did you shoot it yourself ?

Its interesting hearing the comments too. It makes you feel like you are right there in the thick of things.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Blindside said:
This probably belongs in the MMA forum but it was a pity to bury such a nice fight clip in that backwater, take a peek:

http://www.chanskungfu.com/videos/danda.wmv

OP
Blindside

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon said:
Did you shoot it yourself ?

Oh no, I just ran across it on the net. Still one of the better clips (and fights) that I have ever seen.

Lamont

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I agree with you. Its a great clip.

Thank you for posting it.

Chicago Green Dragon

Blindside said:
Oh no, I just ran across it on the net. Still one of the better clips (and fights) that I have ever seen.

Lamont

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
After watching it, I have a reinforced respect for head butts and head breakfalls.

There were quite a few clashes where incidental head butts, if on the street, could have become really dangerous strikes.

Also, the reverse throws that had the guy landing on his head really could take a toll on the street.

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I think a lot of people have forgotten how dangerous our mellons could be if used in a situation, both front and back....lets not forget bout the sides too.

Chicago Green Dragon

loki09789 said:
After watching it, I have a reinforced respect for head butts and head breakfalls.

There were quite a few clashes where incidental head butts, if on the street, could have become really dangerous strikes.

Also, the reverse throws that had the guy landing on his head really could take a toll on the street.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of the "jail house rock" info that came out after the first Lethal Weapon movie. Mel Gibson's fighting style was partially influenced by it, and the mags started publishing articles like crazy.

Lot's of head butting because of the hand restraint issue.
Of course the reputation of a prisoner based martial art helped it fade into nothing over time....

I mean, how commercially successful would "Shive/Shank" schools of knife defense be?

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Paul

You never know the gang bangers might be lining up out the door for that one. lol

Chicago Green Dragon

loki09789 said:
Reminds me of the "jail house rock" info that came out after the first Lethal Weapon movie. Mel Gibson's fighting style was partially influenced by it, and the mags started publishing articles like crazy.

Lot's of head butting because of the hand restraint issue.
Of course the reputation of a prisoner based martial art helped it fade into nothing over time....

I mean, how commercially successful would "Shive/Shank" schools of knife defense be?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah, the real gang bangers already have a tradition of teaching 'home arts'...

the money would be from the wanna be's and the suburban bored types who want to experience the 'real gangsta rap' LOL

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Yeah it will prob be like the break dancing craze where everyone was teaching people how to hip hop and break. lol

Chicago Green Dragon

loki09789 said:
Nah, the real gang bangers already have a tradition of teaching 'home arts'...

the money would be from the wanna be's and the suburban bored types who want to experience the 'real gangsta rap' LOL

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice suplex early in the fight.

I was surprised by the number of takedowns--is that typical, I wonder, or just because it was an exhibition?

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cung Le's San Shou school is in my area. I checked it out before deciding to start BJJ...

They have a great cardio/conditioning program. They are pretty good kickboxers. They use lots of wrestling takedowns (even with 16oz. gloves on!) and execute a takedown whenever they are able. I think it is a pretty cool style.

When I was deciding to start at a new style/school in late 2002, I researched about 50 schools in my area and visited 12. Cung Le San Shou and Ralph Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu were my final 2 picks. I went with BJJ mainly because it was so totally different than my previous training and it was really close to my house.

C

Chicago Green Dragon

How do you like training in BJJ as opposed to your Kenpo training you did in the past ?

Chicago Green Dragon

Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Cung Le's San Shou school is in my area. I checked it out before deciding to start BJJ...

They have a great cardio/conditioning program. They are pretty good kickboxers. They use lots of wrestling takedowns (even with 16oz. gloves on!) and execute a takedown whenever they are able. I think it is a pretty cool style.

When I was deciding to start at a new style/school in late 2002, I researched about 50 schools in my area and visited 12. Cung Le San Shou and Ralph Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu were my final 2 picks. I went with BJJ mainly because it was so totally different than my previous training and it was really close to my house.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon: I will PM you with my answer to your question. The short answer is that BJJ training literally turned my martial arts preconceptions upside down.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Nice suplex early in the fight.

I was surprised by the number of takedowns--is that typical, I wonder, or just because it was an exhibition?
Me too, I think that is not neccessarily the norm in most san shou fights. The ones I have seen usually have alot more head shots and attempted knockouts. That one was extremely sportsmanlike which is good, but can be rare in san shou fights as well, just depending on the participants however.

Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Cung Le's San Shou school is in my area.
He is an extremely talented fighter!!

7sm

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely great fight to watch! Both guys were very skilled! Its rare to see such great form in executioin of techniques! Amazing throws and reversals!
It didn't look as scrappy as a lot of Muay Thai fights I have seen! There were no bad techniques and each strike was seemed to have a purpose! Totally wonderful sequence!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Chicago Green Dragon: I will PM you with my answer to your question. The short answer is that BJJ training literally turned my martial arts preconceptions upside down.
You know, I think this vid clip is about as good an argument for implimenting groundwork into your kenpo as any. It just proves you can end up slammed to the ground at anytime, an the only difference between them popping right back up and putting on a choke is timming and enviornment.
Sean :asian:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you think of fighting in terms of four phases:

1. Before contact or attempted contact
2. Contact at striking ranges (punch or kick/long weapon)
3. Standing clinch/grappling
4. Ground grappling

This type of tourney is only really going from 1-3. I think the point about some ground training is valid because the follow up to any of those successful throws would be devastating and near impossible to defend against after having your head bounced off the pavement.

The gloves, padded flooring.... all keep the fight going for the paying crowd and as insurance that you will get some return on the training you have invested into yourself before you die of a concussion.... These things don't exist on the street

S

Spook

Hate to revive an old thread but i just noticed it. I actualy am an instructor at Chan's where you got the clip from. The fighter on the right with red gloves is Duncan Duffin and i trained with him for five years in Michigan. He now is at Cung Le's school. The match was an exhibition match between Duncan and a friend. Thats why there were a few more throws than a usual San Shou match.

Latest Discussions