Fencing Advice?

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so fencing isn't exactly oriental... but it is a martial art and it does deal with swords....

Just wondering, does anyone here do fencing? I'm thinking of taking a class at a community college this summer and wonder if you have any advice for a newbie? I have no formal weapons training - except for my hands and feet!
-Flamebearer

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was a fencing section for a while...you might do a search for more info. In fact, the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of this page has some of those threads listed.

M

Matt Anderson

Hi Flame,

if you're interested in fencing with real martial intent based on techniques from the period when swords were still weapons of war:

http://www.thearma.org

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
There was a fencing section for a while...you might do a search for more info. In fact, the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of this page has some of those threads listed.
I actually have checked out those threads. thx! And I have done some research on swords as combat weapons, but I think the perspective I'll probably be getting from the class will be more sport-oriented.
-Flamebearer

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always wanted to take up fencing too. Looks like alot of fun.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Which was your favorite?

I liked Sabre the best, but I have to say foil was also pretty interesting though its a simple thrust movement, the action is quite fast. Epee was my least favorite by far.

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is it because the target area is larger in epee (for evenflow)?

Also, what should I look for in my instructor to see if he's any good? (Because this is at a community college) Thanks!

-Flamebearer

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally, I preferred epee. At this point, I wouldn't worry about how good your instructor is. You are just beginning, so even an incompetent instructor can teach basics. Once you've learned for a while, you have a better idea of whether you want to pursue it hard enough to find a top notch instructor. The most important piece of advice I have is to work hard on NOT locking out your elbow! I've known several people that developed bad tendonitis (which takes forever to heal!) because they didn't work hard enough on controlling how far the arm straightened. :)

Bear in mind I only practiced for a couple years before going to the Japanese sword, so take the advice for what it's worth.

Mary Jane

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I play with the foil. Haven't completed the course so I can't move on to the other weapons. Community ed is a great way to get a taste of it, and it's usually pretty affordable. My biggest problem is moving in straight lines. It always seems I should be able to circle my opponent, but it's not allowed in the style I'm learning, Italian I think.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just liked the other two because I felt the movements were faster. I took my lessons at the State University I attended for undergrad, it turned out that the instructor was a National Champion, and had international titles as well, so you never know, your community college may have a very qualified person teaching. At this point, like it was stated before just worry about learning the basics, how to hold the sword/s, the proper stances, how to move, proper control, stuff like that, ect. What style is it btw, French, Spanish, Hungarian?

As far as what to look for, this was an excellent post regarding martial arts instructors, however I believe this would help a fencing student just as much, hope it helps.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24605&highlight=immature

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of the movements are different, also the position of the hands can be different as well, especially the rear hand and where you place it, and the salute.

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
What style is it btw, French, Spanish, Hungarian?
I had no idea there were fencing styles specific to countries - I will try to find out, although I'll probably get a vague answer!
-Flamebearer

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had my first fencing class! My right thigh can now be roughly described as mush - all those lunges. Oh, well, what did I expect?:whip:

The instructor is USFA and also a member of the Texas Institute of Fencing (or something named like that) - I did some internet research on him:)

Apparently his master/instructor was french, so if I learn anything not USFA standard, it'll probably be french.

I guess now I have to get used to throwing all my weight forward in a lunge - something I don't do in TKD.

-Flamebearer

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck!

It's funny how every new art seems to find a different set of muscles to work. You can never be in shape for all of them, it seems!

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Flamebearer said:
I guess now I have to get used to throwing all my weight forward in a lunge.
One word of advice- Don't go beyond the knee. If you overextend, you won't be able to recover.

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Flamebearer said:
Is it because the target area is larger in epee (for evenflow)?

Also, what should I look for in my instructor to see if he's any good? (Because this is at a community college) Thanks!

-Flamebearer

Most folks like epee because there is no "right of way." A popular saying for epeeist is "screw right of way, i've got the touch." I have that t-shirt somewhere.

Speaking of target area, one good drill is hanging a tennis ball from the ceiling and practicing your point control in addition to lunging.

As for your instructor, just like in the martial arts, some of the best are relatively unknown and teach in their garages and basements.

Take care,
Andrew (former USFA member)

Latest Discussions