Feds Settle Case Of Woman Fired Over Facebook Site

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_facebook_firing

WASHINGTON – Employers should think twice before trying to restrict workers from talking about their jobs on Facebook or other social media.
That's the message the government sent on Monday as it settled a closely watched lawsuit against a Connecticut ambulance company that fired an employee after she went on Facebook to criticize her boss.
The National Labor Relations Board sued the company last year, arguing the worker's negative comments were protected speech under federal labor laws. The company claimed it fired the emergency medical technician because of complaints about her work.
Under the settlement with the labor board, American Medical Response of Connecticut Inc. agreed to change its blogging and Internet policy that barred workers from disparaging the company or its supervisors. The company also will revise another policy that prohibited employees from depicting the company in any way over the Internet without permission.
Both policies interfered with longstanding legal protections that allow workers to discuss wages, hours and working conditions with co-workers, the board said.
"I think it certainly sends a message about what the NLRB views the law to be," said Jonathan Kreisberg, the NLRB regional director in Hartford who approved the settlement.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing that I really find interesting about this, is that they managed to get the company she worked for, to change their policies. Personally, if I was having an issue with a boss or coworker, I'm certainly not going to blab it all over the net, or on FB, like some people do.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow. This is a change from what I have understood the law to be. This will definately involve more research on my part.

I was actually threatened with punishment by one of the Lieutenant's at my job because I critisized one of his decisions. Would love to see this change.

Also, I know that Sheriff Corona in Orange County, CA demoted a police lieutenant to sergeant because the Lt. ran against him for the election to sheriff and made negative comments about him. The punishment was upheld in court.