Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2 words : STATES RIGHTS

On October 19th, in a partial but welcome reversal of that Bush-era policy, the Department of Justice issued new guidelines for United States Attorneys in those states (California and 14 others) that have medicinal marijuana laws on the books. Henceforth, so long as individuals in those states are using marijuana for medical purposes and are in full compliance with the laws of their state, federal prosecutors are not to pursue prosecution of those people. The Justice Department memo did provide that if any number of other factors were present (such as violence, sales to minors, ties to other criminal actions, and so forth), prosecution by the feds might be warranted.
http://blogs.ajc.com/bob-barr-blog/...a-welcome-change/?cxntfid=blogs_bob_barr_blog

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it would take for this to surface here. Anyway it seems like a good move to me. Now we can sit back and see how it plays out in states that have "medical marijuana" laws. If it works, other states can follow. If not, those states involved can repeal their "medical marijuana" laws. But honestly, it's about time we tried a different approach. The "War on Drugs" has been going nowhere for a very long time.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
2 words : STATES RIGHTS

Exactly...

It's none of the Fed's business and they had no right sticking their self-righteous noses in where it didn't belong in the first place.

I must say it's refreshing to see the current administration finally get something right.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still have a problem with it being a medical thing, why can't it just be legal and treated like any controlled substance? Do I have to exaggerate my old broken knee (which is just fine by the way) so I can get my smoke on?

Well, medical marijuana is now legal in RI which is pretty close to NY. But I f-ing hate RI. can we just have the whole east coast on the same page here? I'm mostly in NY, NJ, CT, MA and FL.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still have a problem with it being a medical thing, why can't it just be legal and treated like any controlled substance? Do I have to exaggerate my old broken knee (which is just fine by the way) so I can get my smoke on?

Well, medical marijuana is now legal in RI which is pretty close to NY. But I f-ing hate RI. can we just have the whole east coast on the same page here? I'm mostly in NY, NJ, CT, MA and FL.

Interesting point...

The whole "medical" thing does seem to be only for making it's decriminalization more palatable for some.

I wonder how many people that drink beer realize that hops are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most legislators know little about chemistry man. Chemical make ups of things don't matter as much as the big marijuana name. There are a myriad of related products being used almost daily, there are also just as many legal things way more potent and dangerous ... but nobody likes looking at chemical diagrams.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting point...

The whole "medical" thing does seem to be only for making it's decriminalization more palatable for some.

Definitely a slippery slope. First you allow it's use as "medecine" thinking of the poor souls on chemo and the people with glaucoma. Next thing you know, every stoner who has "anxiety" will be legally getting it to "calm his nerves". The jails will be half empty as the illeagal dealers go out of business, the snack food business will thrive and cops will have more time to go after real criminals. The public will stop obsessing about "reefer madness", start thinking about taxing the stuff. And before you know it the stuff will be (gasp) legalized!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pot heads here only get fines anyway. Its the dealers that will have to move on to another business...like crack, coke or heroin.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Dude, weed, is like, all decriminalized and stuff in Mass, ya know?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I just watched Reefer Madness on Hulu. If you Smoke Pot you are gonna MURDER your Mom and Dad, and become a Hit and Run Driver! And a Rapist! And... Um... Other things it said!

Its more dangerous than HEROIN EVEN, it said!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might even end up President! Scary!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, I just watched Reefer Madness on Hulu. If you Smoke Pot you are gonna MURDER your Mom and Dad, and become a Hit and Run Driver! And a Rapist! And... Um... Other things it said!

Its more dangerous than HEROIN EVEN, it said!

Oh, it's totally true, I've done all those things at least 7 times.