Fearless Fighters?

J

Josh

hi. I was wondering, throughout all the history of martial arts and i guess war or whatever that you've learned in class or just on the internet or in books, who are some of the fearless figthers that come to mind?

bruce lee
Achilles(although i'm still wondering if this person was real)

anyone else?

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cant remember his name but the guy who started Muay Thai, I read that he took on as many fighters that were brave enough to have a crack at him after his country was invaded. He was taken to something like the roman colleseum stuck in the middle and was told to fight or die. So he fought and won his freedom and was then offered gold or wives as a sign of respect. I suppose that he had no choice but to keep going but I do know that the other fighters argued with each other as to who would have the honour of destroying the best fighter of the enemy but after he destroyed their best fighter they weren't feeling so brave. There is a stutue in his honour erected in singapore I think. Anyways he's my pick. If I remember his name or find where I read it I will repost.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i read about bruce lee that he often felt fear but just used to force himself through it and try not to show it. Apparently he used to repeat to himself "walk on bruce" when scared and just get through it that way.

Surely to not ever feel fear you'd have to have something wrong with your brain? i think that even the muay thai fighter probably felt fear but was able to deal with his situation.

OP
T

TonyM.

Google up my old company commander, Robert L.Howard. The most decorated man in the RVN.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
Cant remember his name but the guy who started Muay Thai, I read that he took on as many fighters that were brave enough to have a crack at him after his country was invaded. He was taken to something like the roman colleseum stuck in the middle and was told to fight or die. So he fought and won his freedom and was then offered gold or wives as a sign of respect. I suppose that he had no choice but to keep going but I do know that the other fighters argued with each other as to who would have the honour of destroying the best fighter of the enemy but after he destroyed their best fighter they weren't feeling so brave. There is a stutue in his honour erected in singapore I think. Anyways he's my pick. If I remember his name or find where I read it I will repost.
Sparticus! Though I doubt he did Muay Thai!

I very much doubt Bruce Lee was fearless, probably just 'seemed' that way, he was quite cocky so he probably gave out that kind of signal!

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think all fighters have some sort of fear in them when they do battle. The trick is not to be a coward and run away. Its ok to be scared, its another thing to run away from what your scared of.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey - you ever get into fights when you were a kid?
Huh - plenty.
Yeah, but it wasn't like the problem I have, right?
Why? Fighting fighting. Same same.
Yeah, but you knew karate.
Someone always know more.
You mean there were times when you were scared to fight?
Always scare. Miyagi hate fighting.

Most people have concerns, there is always something to lose when you fight, I' ve been in real fights before and I have been concerned, not with taking a punch but you never know if someone is going to pull a knife or a gun out or God knows what these days. The last fight I was in was in a bar in 2000 (hopefully the last, guy broke his beer bottle and thrust it at me, he didnt lay a finger on me, but I am not going to sit here and state that I was not concerned with the outcome, certainly I was. Of course placed in a life or death situation, it becomes a little different, because on the one hand you are guaranteed one of the out comes from the get go.

With that said, not one person comes to mind, I can not seriously sit here and think of one person who would come within the definition of fearless on this post. There is always something to lose, your family, your life, ect. I would say to be completely fearless would be careless.

Oh and I dont think Achilles was real, just a character out of Homer's Illiad.

OP
J

Josh

silatman said:

Wow!!! What a warrior.

And in response to Bruce Lee being afraid...you wouldn't think he'd be afraid!!!

Man!!!

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In reference to my original post the guys name was Nai Khanom Tom and the statue is in Thailand not Singapore.
The last fighter that dared to go against him was a respected Bando master who was actually in the crowd, not even there to fight. When he relented to fight Nai the crowd thought that finally he would be beaten. Nai destroyed him and he was nearly unrecognizable when he gave up. After seeing this no one else dared to step up.
Like others have said but I think fearless is a term that just doesn't exist.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
In reference to my original post the guys name was Nai Khanom Tom and the statue is in Thailand not Singapore.
The last fighter that dared to go against him was a respected Bando master who was actually in the crowd, not even there to fight. When he relented to fight Nai the crowd thought that finally he would be beaten. Nai destroyed him and he was nearly unrecognizable when he gave up. After seeing this no one else dared to step up.
Like others have said but I think fearless is a term that just doesn't exist.
I'd second that! Nice post.
A small degree of fear is something that has to be overcome or used in a fight to enable the body to work to its maximum potential, its a motivator in its own right. I guess maybe people see fear always for its negative aspect, which is quite right in its own aspect but you could use it for a postive purpose.
Fear is a inner demon, it should be overcome! I'm going off topic opps!

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rickson Gracie has a reputation of being fearless. However, he'll tell you, having no fear is being stupid. you should know your fear and why you are afraid. Fear is human.

Kinda off the subject, here is a cool line from Star wars (i'm a geek):
Fear attracts the fearful.
the strong, the weak, the innocent, the corrupt.
Fear is my ally.

Latest Discussions