Fear of Injury?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, On one of the post someone mention the book "Strong on Defense" written by a retired police officer. I just got it from Amazon books.

In the first charter (just read up to so far). He talks about how many people do NOT fight back, because of fear of getting themselves hurt. Escpecially women who are being rape. 51% fight back,49% do not, and 3% are actully killed (his figures). Most of the women/men too ,do get some kind of injuries.

Killer instincts, NO fear of getting injuries....one who does not think about himself..but is willing to fight back!

He mention this is a MIND SET that we all can learn....to FIGHT BACK...when attack...trust your judgements when to go for it!

Fear of getting hurt...can keep you from fight back....prepare yourself for this MIND SET, You may not get a second chance of life.......Aloha

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
He mention this is a MIND SET that we all can learn....to FIGHT BACK...when attack...trust your judgements when to go for it!

I think this probably belongs in General Self Defence, but it's definately a very good point. It's one of the biggest hurdles to overcome when teaching self defence, especially when statistics indicate that most attackers are known to victims.

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not just in self defense, fear of injury can hinder your training and ability. I had the opportunity to cross train and uke for a friend of mine who was preparing for his Shodan TEst in Judo. He executes his throws very well, but he did not like falling so he tensed up and would Anchor his butt when ever he was about to be thrown. Also when we would do ground work, I could actually submit him more often than he would me, not do to anything on my part except pure aggression and he was scared of pain.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
It really comes down to making the decision to fight, and when you do so to be fully committed to that decision. This does not mean you don't temper the action you decide to take based on situational awareness, it means that you can't be wishy-washy. But be aware and willing to accept that pain will be part of the process, hopefully you will be the giver and not the receiver.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
scottcatchot said:
Not just in self defense, fear of injury can hinder your training and ability. I had the opportunity to cross train and uke for a friend of mine who was preparing for his Shodan TEst in Judo. He executes his throws very well, but he did not like falling so he tensed up and would Anchor his butt when ever he was about to be thrown. Also when we would do ground work, I could actually submit him more often than he would me, not do to anything on my part except pure aggression and he was scared of pain.

You have a good point there. If a person has a fear of pain in general, it could limit their training FOR self defense. I used to be like that when I first started. But when I did have to defend myself (one year into training), that fear wasn't there. I just re-acted. I didn't think about getting hurt. I definitely don't have a fear of pain now (I snowboard for God's sake! LOL). But, some do have a fear of pain. It's a hard thing to get over like bdparsons mentioned.