FBI seeks possible sniper in DC area

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This one seems to have a grudge against the military, but appears to be trying *not* to injure anyone. Odd.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...US_Army_After_Shootings_At_Military_Locations

Investigators say ballistics tests have concluded the latest shooting involved the same weapon, although the FBI is refusing the reveal details of the rifle used.
Because three of the incidents took place at Marine Corps buildings, the FBI has been working on the assumption they were the work of someone who may have been part of the Marine Corps who has a grievance with the military.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the DC Sniper case, it was solid profiling that suggested the most likely suspect would be a white male, etc. But a profile is only an educated guess, based on other offenses. It's not a guarantee. The bad guys don't know they're supposed to play by the rules... and they don't always! Criminal Minds has actually done a decent job portraying how profiling works. And sometimes how it can go wrong.

Regarding the current shooter (I'm not aware of anything that actually suggests any degree of skill approaching calling them a sniper)... All of the identified targets have been military, and most of them have involved the USMC. Assuming that people generally do things for a reason -- this guy (same gun, no reason for two to be needed right now, so it's a reasonable bet that it's a single person -- and guns tend to be a male thing..) is targeting military for some reason. He may be deliberately avoiding times when people are there -- or he may be stuck at work during daytime hours. And I'm not going off anything but area knowledge and press reports as I make these guesses... If he stops now, it's a good bet he'll never be identified unless he spills the beans to someone.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is the manhunt on for white guys again, like it was when the DC Sniper was shooting?
That didn't work out so well...

Wow. How did you jump from a sniper in DC to a racism post so quickly? Its starting to get a little creepy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, I didn't see the racism in Don's comment. I did see a misunderstanding of profiling. What I read him as saying is "why is the focus here on a white male? Look back at Mohammad and Malvo, the DC Snipers... Everyone there was looking for white vans driven by a white male, not a blue sedan driven by two black guys."