Favorite or most useful martial arts related book and why?

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
What your favorite or most useful martial arts related book and why?

Let's say you had one to recommend, which one would it be and why.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably Living the Martial Way. I don't agree with all of it, but it does a good job of painting a good mindset.

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
Living the Martial Way would be a good choice. I too don't agree with everything he has in there, bit it's still a solid read.

Another along those lines in On Combat by Dave Grossman. It's a good read on the physiological aspcets of fighting as well as theh psycological ones. It's a must read on proper mindset.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Art of War.

Because fighting is one thing, but strategy is quite another, and at least as useful. You can use these strategies to avoid fights and get away or turn things to your advantage.

The principles making up this book are also very useful in business. I have been a software programmer for 10 years, working as a consultant. Business is like a war or complex political game. I can honestly say that keeping to the core principles has saved my bacon a couple of times.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have recommended different books to different people! It really depends upon what they are looking for more info on or need the most help with. Some books are required reading in our school for advancement. As a beginners book I like Zen in the martial arts. Great ideas are explained in an easy to understand way.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
'The Tao of Jeet Kune Do' by Bruce Lee Not really a linear book, but more of a collection of ideas and concepts......but some very good ideas and concepts.

And of course as already mentioned, Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'. Myamoto Musashi's 'Book of Five Rings'. Dave Grossman's writings were a good mention.

A lot depends on what one is seeking. A general martial mindset, specific martial skills. If one is looking for a good outlook on martial mindset, I recommend anything by the late Col. Jeff Cooper......though not a 'traditional martial artist', he was a warrior who had been there and done that, and had a perspective on conflict that probably needs to be read by anyone who thinks they want to prepare themselves for that eventuality.

Actually my bookshelf is full of excellent books, i'll have to browse through.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Art of War.

Because fighting is one thing, but strategy is quite another, and at least as useful. You can use these strategies to avoid fights and get away or turn things to your advantage.

The principles making up this book are also very useful in business. I have been a software programmer for 10 years, working as a consultant. Business is like a war or complex political game. I can honestly say that keeping to the core principles has saved my bacon a couple of times.

QFT. 100% agreed.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"Kill or Be Killed" By Rex Applegate, as it teaches you pretty much all you need to know. "Get Tough" by W.E. Fairbairn is a good one, as is "Weapons at hand" by Greg Anderson. All three books follow the same line of thinking.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts by Donn Draeger and Robert Smith. For the simple reason that I'd turn to books for cultural and historical insight more than technical know-how. I like the context that comes with a good historical book. And, while I've heard complaints about the legitimacy of some of Draeger and Smith's claims, I thought that book was really excellent in terms of breadth and detail. Good read.

Stuart

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grandmaster Helio Gracie's "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" and for simplistic reasons. The basics are found everywhere as is everyones "twist' on the subject. But to get it from the one who "set it off" alone sets it apart.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What your favorite or most useful martial arts related book and why?

Let's say you had one to recommend, which one would it be and why.

Hello,

I have always enjoyed "Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts" by Donn Draeger and Robert W. Smith. A great work on the basic history of many martial arts in one volume. Well written and thought out, IMO. I "grew up" in the arts reading that. :)

I also enjoyed "Martial Arts, Traditions, History, People" by John Corcoran and Emil Farkas. It has basic information on many martial arts and a nice biography section on many of the prominent martial artists of the time. I have the 1983 edition, which has many of the 70's interests and "luminaries" included. A pivotal time in the martial arts in this country, I think? I know they have an updated edition from the early 90's, but would like to see an even more recent edition published.

There are many wonderful texts out there. I could spend hours describing the ones I have read and found useful. The above two were the first that came to mind.

Good subject, thank you.
Milt G.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A flavorite choice and the most modern written materials?

Is books by Loren Christensen...worth reading and owning!!

Aloha,

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Book of 5 Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi

A great book on mindset and strategy and the only one I've read at least once a year since I was 12

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any of:

The Bubishi
The Art of War
The Book of Five Rings

I learn something new every time I open one of them.Or at least i learn to ask a new question.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, the Art of War and Book of Five Rings. Particularly, in the Art of War there is theory I love: Retreat is a tactic, never a surrender! And, in the Book of Five Rings I love the page that describes Musashi's Ways of the Warrior Traveling Alone, the 22 precepts of practice by one's self! Also, love the Tai Chi Classics, and of course books by two of my three masters, Leung Shum and by proxy Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, whose senior Jeff Bolt is one of my three teachers. I like Bruce Lee's books, as they do tend to free the mind and make you consistently look at the effectiveness of your "styles" and the evolution of your own skill.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMHO no person studying American Kenpo should be without the "Encylopedia of Kenpo." It lists and defines all the major principles taught and applied in the art. It's a great reference for any student and a great tool for any instructor.

Of course, no self-respecting Kenpoist would be without the 5 volumes of "Infinite Insights" either! LOL

shaolin-warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
Warriors, More on living with Courage, Discipline, an Honor edited by Loren Christensen. It giveS the modern day warriors perspective on what it takes to sacrafice, train and even to kill if necessary.

Latest Discussions