Black Toe Polish. Why?

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was at a BJJ gym for the first time today and noticed that one of the guys there had on black toe polish. I know Chuck Liddell used to do this as well.

Why do they do this? Athletes foot?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm betting its because their girlfriend said "hey honey, let me paint your toenails," and the view when that happens is usually pretty good, besides mutual grooming is a turn on for most.

I can't imagine it being martial arts related.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe it's a way to cover an embarrassing nail fungus?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
blindside is correct. there are more painted toenails out there than you think, you just don't see most people barefoot that often.

jf

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Living in southern California I see a lot of bare footed people. And I see lot's of painted nails from both genders. Black is masculine enough that most guys will agree to let a lady friend or other half paint away. I once dated a lady who like to paint my fingernails various ways. It made her happy, she didn't use motifs or colors to emasculate me, so whatever.

Furthermore, with many fashion styles, (like Goth, Emo and some styles of Punk) the nail painting is part of it. :)

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dudes. Obviously, you guys do not watch important educational TV shows like Dancing With the Stars, on which Chuck Liddell is now a contestant. The Iceman has a 12 year old daughter, and one of the things they do when they hang out together is paint their toenails.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was at a BJJ gym for the first time today and noticed that one of the guys there had on black toe polish. I know Chuck Liddell used to do this as well.

Why do they do this? Athletes foot?

Hello,

I think it is just to "stand out" and be noticed...
Sadly, that is usually an outward manifestation of low self esteem...

Same with "mohawks" and brightly colored hair... Unless, of course, the brightly colored hair is natural... :)

Perhaps a fashion trend, as well? I am glad I "accidently" miss so many of those... :) :) :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Men wearing non-clear nail-varnish! Outraged-of-Hemel-Hempstead here I come {begins furiously writing letter to his MP} :lol:

As a guitar player, I can reveal that laquering your plucking-hand nails has a big advantage to reducing splintering and cracking (that's p-l-u-c-k-i-n-g for all you jesters out there :D}.

Maybe it's roughly the same idea in BJJ? Or maybe ...

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Men? Whatever peels your bananna...

I'm not into it, but if you're a guy and want to paint your toe nails...go ahead. It ain't hurtin' nobody. Don't expect that I won't think you're a tad strange though. LOL

OP
K

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm enjoying reading all of your responses lol

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm if men with painted toenails ia a trend it haven`t caught on around here yet. Only painted nails I`ve ever seen in the dojos were on females.

I guess if someone takes the trouble to paint their nails they will be trimmed too so I suppose it is a good thing for sparring...