MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No particular order...

Enter the Dragon
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Kill and Kill Again
Billy Jack
The Last Samurai

Not exactly a martial arts movie, but I love the capoeira in The Mighty Quinn.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Fist of legend is the best I've seen, but if you want to see a really entertaining unintentionally funny martial arts film, rent bloodfight!
Bolo yeung and the guy that fights jet li in fist of legend, li's girlfriends uncle. i cant remember his name now, but it doesnt matter, that film's great, the fight scenes are ridiculous and the acting is unbelievably bad. It's in english but you can tell it was a real struggle, as im sure they don't know what they're saying.
My favourite bit is the fight scene where the good guy is fighting the bad, gets chinned severely, has his flashback/power up moment where he remembers what he's fighting for (avenging murdered friend etc!) then gets dropped again! Much harder than before and in slow motion this time, it was supposed to be the turning point in the fight but he just got dropped again after! I about wet myself first time i watched that.
If you haven't seen it, get it.

:)

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Fist of Legend

Zatoichi

Enter the Dragon

Twilight Samurai

Sword of Vengeance (Lone Wolf and Cub)

and first prize for unintentionally funny - Gymkata!

OP
J

jkdhit

jackie chan movies
- drunken master 2
- supercop
- rumble in the bronx
- gorgeous
- mr. nice guy
- wheels on meals

jet li movies
- master
- fist of legend
- high risk
- romeo must die
- kiss of the dragon

bruce lee movies
- return of the dragon
- game of death
- chinese connection

OP
J

jkdhit

i forgot to mention, i also like the original karate kid movie :p

OP
K

kenpochad

what we all for got about the best movie of all times!
Kung Pow! Enter the Fist (j/k) HA HA

:rofl:

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Somebody elses Capoeira comment made me remember "Only the Strong" starring Mark Dacascos. Pretty good flick.

Then that made me think of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" which he is also in, and while it really isn't a martial arts film persay, it is awesome.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The other night I saw a Doc. on Starz I believe called the Black Knights is was about Karate Tournement held in Japan in the seventies pretty well done for a old time doc.

Terry lee Stoker

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dude It's called "fighting Black kings" and it rocks. You can catch Willie Williams with his "beast-like physque" allright the narration is kinda chessy

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of ya'll on your choices but the Shaw Brother's and Bruce Lee Movies are what made it possible for the movies today and the best Shaw bro.'s pick has to be The Five Deadly Venoms. It is one of the greatest if not the greatest martial arts flick.

2. Romeo Must Die- Jet Li

3. The Duel-Andy Lau

4. Streetfighter- Sonny Chiba

5. Hero-Jet Li

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about Return Of The Master Killer starring Gordon Lui? All of his Master Killer series are great.

The tackier the name the better the movie.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
A few of my favorites are:

Secret Master
Lone Wolf McQuade
Invincible Armor
An Eye For An Eye
A Force Of One
Return of The Dragon
Street Fighter Series
The Perfect Weapon
Deadly Outbreak

OP
S

Spook

kenpochad said:
my fav. ma movie is Fist of Legend
icon14.gif
stars jet li for those who dont know
Me too, great film!

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
'rapid fire'
'the last samurai'
'The one'
'equilibrium'
'enter the dragon'
'the perfect weapon'
geez louis theres to many to name, I'll probably get some grief over this but I loved the fight scene in troy between achilles and hector.:idunno:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I put Troy on my list too :)
also:

The Last Samurai
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Kill Bill
The Seven Samurai

(I also love The Pink Panther hee he)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorites, in no particular order:

Enter the Dragon: One of the best all-star casts. It's just amazing to see Bruce Lee's sheer speed on the set, with no camera help. This was after he had that awful back injury.

Return of the Dragon: As someone previously stated, good fight scenes and choreography, and some humor as well. I believe you can still see it as "The Way of the Dragon" on AMC once in a while, with the deleted scenes restored. If you saw those scenes, then it really puts Bruce Lee's character, Tang Lung, in more of a naive country boy appearance.

Chinese Connection (it was SUPPOSED to be "Fist of Fury" if it weren't for someone's screwup) / Fist of Legend: I'll lump these two movies together, since they're pretty much based on the same character, despite the theatrical storyline differences. Each movie had its perks. Chinese Connection had Bruce Lee in his pure, unadulterated form. I can still watch this movie over, and over, and still be amazed at the man's pure speed. As for Jet Li in "Fist of Legend," I liked it because he was a bit more human, and there wasn't nearly as much "Good Chinese versus Bad Japanese" tension.

The Quest: I don't like Van Damme at all. I did, however, enjoy many of the fights in the tournament, especially the one between the Capoerista and the Gung Fu practitioner. Also, seeing an aging Roger Moore play the part of a bad guy, dry humor and all, was rather entertaining.

Fist of Fury (aka "The Big Boss"): Yet another of the "Big Four" Bruce Lee flicks. Nice to see that they weren't squeamish about bloodshed.

Two Champions of Shaolin: While not so much for the storyline, the almost non-stop fighting makes this movie worth seeing over, and over. The last fight, where the bad guy (Kow), using a trident, is fighting off 5 good guys (and winning), along with the one good guy (Hu) using a metal hanbo, fighting the three bad guys (the Yuen brothers) equipped with bo, were excellent works of choreography.

All in all, my only gripe about most of the above movies, is the guy they used for the English dubbing; he seems to be in almost every Gung Fu flick, and has a rather sour voice; in fact, it sounds as if he were eating sour lemons before each line.

I will NOT include the abomination known as "Game of Death." While it did have the best Bruce Lee imitator, Bruce Li, the fact remains that he's well below the original, and the storyline was just plain awful. They really would have been better off not trying to patch in all of the old Bruce Lee footage, and letting Bruce Li make an entire movie from scratch. It's a shame, since Bruce Lee had an all-star cast in the original footage, including Dan Inosanto, Karim Abdul-Jabbar, etc.

What was really horrid was their use of Bruce Li's high pitched screams to dub over Bruce Lee's real voice. :(

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since the question is favourite not "best" (a very subjective category) I will give my list:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (character, loyalty, etc.)

The Perfect Weapon (Kenpo Rocks!)

Above the Law (Aikido Rocks!)

House of Flying Daggers (beautiful dance scenes by Zhang Ziyi, oh, and the Martial Arts was ok too)

Enter the Dragon (What more to say?)

Latest Discussions