kenpochad

the actor list made me wounder what are some of your favorite ma movies
my fav. ma movie is Fist of Legend
icon14.gif
stars jet li for those who dont know

Mark Barlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While it may not be considered a martial arts movie, Jimmy Cagney's BLOOD ON THE SUN has some great footage of prewar Kodokan and one of the best Jujutsu fights ever filmed. Cagney was a real life Judo/Jujutsu student and did many of his own stunts.

OP
K

kenpochad

my top five

1. Fist of legend-Jet Li
2. The Perfect Weapon-Jeff Speakman
3. Enter The Dragon- Bruce Lee
4. Rumble in The Bronx- Jackie Chan
5. Bloodsport maybe

shaolinDave

White Belt
Reaction score
Its hard to narrow down , but here are my top three:
Return of the Dragon - Bruce Lee. Some of Bruce's better choreography, Some comedy, and the famous Lee vs Norris fight.

Above the Law - Steven Seagal. Gave everybody the Aikido Buzz. And it was the first, so it was before all his movies were about an Italian-American vigilante cop with friends in the Mob.

Conan the Barbarian - Arnold Schwarzenegger. Some of the best looking swords and sword fights ever.

OP
K

kenpochad

like above the law and return of the dragon

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here is mine

1) Bruce Lee Enter the Dragon

2) Phillip Rhee best of the Best

3) Russell Crow Gladiator

4) Joon Rhee Hero

I know the Best of the Best is like one of my all time favorites for the simple reason of the respect and dignity aspect and some of the fight sceens was well done.

Terry Lee Stoker

OP
K

kenpochad

terryl965 said:
I know the Best of the Best is like one of my all time favorites for the simple reason of the respect and dignity aspect and some of the fight sceens was well done.
Terry Lee Stoker
Sorry i forgot about the Best of the Best the first one only .its hard to make a list

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here are my Favorite movies.

1) The Perfect Weapon
2) BloodSport
3) The Belly of The Beast
4) The Circuit

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this one has slipped through the cracks. Remo Williams, one of the best and funniest of all times. In my top five are: Drunken Master 2-Jackie Chan; Iron Monkey, and Perfect Weapon. I am having trouble with what one would make up the number five, maybe Big Trouble In Little China. There are so many good one out there it is hard to choose.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I may get flamed, but one of my favs is "The Quest". VanDamme himself wasn't that interesting, but most of the other fights were very entertaining.

Some other favorites include:
Bourne Identity,
The One,
Blade.

Mind you, I have a list of "favorite movie fights" that only somewhat overlaps this, but I don't want to go off-topic :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I recently watched "The Transporter" with Jason Statham. The fight scenes were entertaining if one's expectations are within reason.
My faves still are several Lee movies.

Hero is a great MA film as well as Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon. Artsy and historical and mythological to be sure but just wonderfully done.

There are just too many great MA films to count. Many of those listed (above) are also among my personal favs.

If you haven't already check out "Art Of Action: Martial Arts in The Movies" hosted by Samuel L. Jackson. A good documentary about our favorite genre.

shaolinDave

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I have to give it up for Best of the Best and Remo Williams. Can't believe I forgot about those. Both of those movies influenced me in someway or another.

Another good Eric Roberts movie is By the Sword.

shaolinDave

White Belt
Reaction score
Another of my favorites just popped into my head.
The Challenge starring Scott Glen and [size=-1]Toshirô Mifune. Awesome Movie.
[/size]

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite martial arts movie is The Last Samaurai. Even with Tom Cruise opening his mouth lately and sounding like a fool I still liked the film.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
House of Flying Daggers
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Hero
Enter the Dragon
The Perfect Weapon

Many many others too, those were just the first 5 to pop into my head, not neccessarily the 5 best.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crouching Tiger and Last Samurai are very good picks. They would make my top 10.

OP
K

kenpochad

after reading some of your post top five just keeps changing

OP
G

GRIM

You just can't beat Sonny Chiba in "The Street Fighter" series (all but sister which.....well i don't like it.) His tactics are any thing goes eye pokes groin shots you name it not to mention the black gi, makes me think of kenpo.

I also really like Jet Li in "Unleashed" really good fights and no wire crap.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpochad said:
after reading some of your post top five just keeps changing
If this is directed to me. With so many to choose from it is hard to make a top five, but my last post was not for a top five pick. It was for a top ten.