Favorite MA-ist to watch & why

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who do you just enjoy watching perform. They bring a smile to your face or you admire their technique.

I was a big fan of Rick Roufus in his full contact kickboxing days. All of his kicks were effortless & his was so elusive..

Jackie Chan just because I laugh when I see him perform: he's that amazing to watch.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the movies? Aside from the obvious choice of Bruce Lee, I do enjoy watching others the likes of Donnie Yen and Jet Li. I really wish that Russell Wong could have made it successfully into the US films.

Also, throw in Michelle Yeoh for eye candy. :)

In the ring? Vitor Belfort. My favorite two memories of him were in the UFC, when he was first fighting a rather large individual named Scott Ferrozzo. Belfort was barely 200 lbs at the time, and David "Tank" Abbott was doing the commentary, claiming that "Roy Jones Jr. ain't gonna knock out Mike Tyson" and that "the rotund one will win."

In a matter of a few seconds, Belfort tosses out three stiff jabs at Ferrozzo's face, each one snapping his head back, and sends him crashing to the ground, where Belfort proceeds to start bashing away at Ferrozzo's head, until the ref pulls him off. Even in slow motion, you could only see a blur where Belfort's fists were.

The next moment was when Belfort fought Abbott, and basically beat him to a pulp. That's saying a lot, since Abbott could take a huge amount of punishment from strikes, but Belfort chopped him down in a hurry. Again, those hands flew out faster than almost anyone's.

While he lost to Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell, and Randy Couture, I still give him thumbs up for lasting all three rounds, for the entire length against these three fighters, who I think we can all safely say are pretty darn good.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, David Carridine, and always Jackie Chan, Jet Li. Just to many to name.
Terry

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brandon Lee was great to watch. It was too sad that he was taken from this world at such a young age.

Jet Li is my favotite these days. I jyst wish Hollywood would cut back on the wire work.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Allright I may be the only fan of this guy here but...

Bolo Yeung! He played so many mean nasty guys but he was a great performer! And HUGE for a chinese Guy!

Also Bruce Lee of course and Danny Inosanto in his limited screen appearances! *grin*

Rob

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jet Li all the way for me...

I really like the wong fei hong series, just amazing fight scenes and man o' man the fight scenes. Obviously the story is just a way to allow more fight scenes to happen in a lot of these movies but that is ok.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ray Park, Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh are the ones I enjoy the most on the screen. Also Collin Chou was great as Seraph in Matrix Revolutions.

However nothing is like watching old clips of Hironori Ohtsuka himself.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is some competitors in Indiana that I still love to see compete. One inparticular who I remember as a brown belt (ik-kyu) when I was a purple belt (ni-kyu) when we were teenagers he amazed me with his kata and kumite. A few weeks ago I took some students to a tournament in Kokomo, IN and he was still there doing the same thing nearly 15 years later but better.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Who do you just enjoy watching perform. They bring a smile to your face or you admire their technique.

Sammo Hung.. His grace and speed are admirable esspecially considering his size. And I think his physical comedy rivals that of Jackie Chan.

Tak-Hing Kwan.. Know for playing the role of Wong Fei Hong.. Actually he played him over 70 times. When you see him in action you can see why he was chosen to represent one of the greatest martial artists who ever lived.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Jet Li all the way for me...

I really like the wong fei hong series, just amazing fight scenes and man o' man the fight scenes. Obviously the story is just a way to allow more fight scenes to happen in a lot of these movies but that is ok.

I like to compare a lot of old kf movies to adult films of the 80's.. The plot was just a way to facilitate action, and watchers tend to be comfortable with it. =)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The late Mr. Tri of Sacramento, CA doing Tai Chi. Why? His grace, power and fluidity were superior, IMO, to many of the best known Tai Chi "masters" out there.

Zhang Ziyi (ok, a highly trained dancer with some MA training), because, well, she's just so pretty AND graceful.

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Movie wise, Van Damme (sp?) he still has amazing kicks. Chris Farley cause he was funny as hell. Mickey Rourke cause the dudes a badass. Sylvester Stallone both as rocky and rambo, first blood was one of the best movies ever made imho.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Real life fighters - Remy Bonjasky for his fighting intelligence and pugilistic poetry! Hehe.

Movies - of course I *have* to say Steven Seagal no matter what's thought of him, you gotta admit it's fun to watch. And Jet Li for fighting choreography [just like the Chinese Opera I guess]. Though I certainly wouldn't disagree with any of the others mentioned so far - good picks!

Respects!

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the ring: Wanderlei Silva (because he's just scary) In the movies: Tony Jaa (because he's as acrobatic as Jackie Chan but much more brutal) and Jackie Chan(because he's acrobatic and humorous)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phadrus00 said:
Allright I may be the only fan of this guy here but...

Bolo Yeung! He played so many mean nasty guys but he was a great performer! And HUGE for a chinese Guy!

Also Bruce Lee of course and Danny Inosanto in his limited screen appearances! *grin*

Rob

I met Bolo at a tournament in Vegas in January where he was filming a movie. He's very well built, but he's very short. (I'd say 5'7") Nice guy, tho.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I met Bolo at a tournament in Vegas in January where he was filming a movie. He's very well built, but he's very short. (I'd say 5'7") Nice guy, tho.

Dude that must have been COOL! I saw him as a good guy in a movie (can't remember the name) once and he was doing Tai Chi and looking real good doing it! Glad to hear that he is a cool guy in real life!

Rob

Latest Discussions