Favorite Hyung...

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am interested in learning what your favorite pattern was prior to Black Belt.

Please include the name of the pattern, the rank at which it is preformed, and the reason for which the specific pattern is your favorite!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

My favorite hyung (pre black belt) was Choong Moo. The patterns is the last in our series prior to receiving your Black Belt. This pattern is the first in it's set to include some of my favorite techniques...Reverse Knifehand, Flying Side Kick, and multiple rearward movements!

Over all it is a very fun and energizing pattern to preform. Many alternating movements, direction and momentum changes, and dynamic movements!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Geetings,

As a gup student, my favorite poomse was Palgwe Chil Chung, I enjoyed the front and side kicks the most. That would have been at green belt,6th and 5th gup. At Brown thru Red, 4th-1st gup, I favored Koryo for both the kicks and the mix of hand techniques.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Spookey said:
Dear All,

My favorite hyung (pre black belt) was Choong Moo. The patterns is the last in our series prior to receiving your Black Belt. This pattern is the first in it's set to include some of my favorite techniques...Reverse Knifehand, Flying Side Kick, and multiple rearward movements!

Over all it is a very fun and energizing pattern to preform. Many alternating movements, direction and momentum changes, and dynamic movements!

TAEKWON!
Spookey
Ditto that. Choong Moo was also my favuorite pattern.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just finished learning Koryo tonight. So I'm really hitting that hard now. But it's tought to pick a specific "favorite".

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Favorite guep-level poomsae is Taegeuk 7. I like it for it's "Kung-fu-like feel-lots of open hand pressing blocks and efficient-block to strikes. I also like the spread-block, knee strike series as it is practical, brutal self-defense.

My favorite dan-level poomsae is Sipjin as it has a lot of good applications and demanding sections calling for breath control and concentration.

Miles

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Prior to Black Belt, I had several favorites:

Pyung Ahn Sa Dan (#4) learned at 6th Gup Green Belt

Dan Kwon Hyung learned at 4th Gup Purple Belt

Jee Tae learned at 1st Gup Brown Belt

R. McLain

J

Jim Tindell

I love Koryo, but I haven't learned any of the other Dan forms.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess after rereading the question you asked for the favorite gup level pattern specifically...

So with those constraints, I'd have to pick Palgwe Chil Chung or Palgwe Sa Chung

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palgwe Chil, for its wave-like rhythm. I also like the block-grab-to-side kick, crescent kick, sweep-stomp, and groin strike. Some of our instructors removed the groin strike, but I always taught it.

R

rainbows

Adept said:
Ditto that. Choong Moo was also my favuorite pattern.
Ditto. I'm learning Choong Moo at the moment and it rocks soooooo hard. I also like Toi-Gye, but my knees hate it.

T

Teh Tot

I also have to say coong moo, although im only learning it now, my favorite part is the flying side piercing kick, and the 360 jump into a double knife-hand guarding block.

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
My favorite pre black belt form would be Choon-Moo. I like the tech's and direction, momentum changes. Mithios

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Prior to black belt, my favorite was Pyong-an 5, which I leaened as a purple belt. Since being promoted to black, and learning Chul-gi 2, I've found a new appreciation for Chul-gi 1, even though I learned that as a brown belt.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Choong - Moo at brown was among my tops but for some reason I really liked doing Toi-Gye.

Latest Discussions