Favorite Drills

KCO

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering what your favorite Wing Chun Drills are? Please describe the drill, and how often you get into it.

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Stopping kick against one of them there big swinging bags. Whenever I can.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I really enjoy a lot of the anti grappling we do in class, we did a defense against trip last night that is one of my favorites to preform. I'm 5"11.5 and 135 pounds, so it's a real blast to throw big guys around at class, and some of these techniques do just that :p

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
I call it the " give it your, best shot or the "Gilligan" aand yes ity's all I can handle....cheeezy joke of course

Last edited:

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
alright that was yesterday..this is today,yes Nabakatsu I too like the floor drills,it definitely gives you perspective,until I joined EBMAS I never gave much thought to ground fighting.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am partial to a drill that we call Low Heel Kick versus Hook Kick.
Its done by both people facing off in their stance and guard just inside low kicking range.

One partner initiates the attack by firing off a low heel kick to the other partners knee cap or shin , as the attacking limb comes in the other partner draws his leg back that is being attacked a couple of inches so that it is just out of range of the attacking low heel kick.

As the partner slightly retracts his leg to make his opponent miss the intended target , without missing a beat he then fires off a hook kick into the thigh of his partner with the same leg he retracted.

Its mostly a reflex drill as you have to detect the slightest weight shift and movement of your partners shoulders to avoid the incoming kick.
But it also works on other levels like developing speed and economy of movement in kicking for both partners .

Not too mention there is also a bit of mental toughness and conditioning involved as you are repeatedly taking a shin kick to the thighs or heel kicks to the lower legs.

Of course this depends on how hard and fast both partners want to go , even with shin pads on there will still be a level of discomfort.

But I have found that if you can react to a small movement like a low heel kick where the body doesn't move much then it does become a little easier to be able to detect any kicking attacks that are targeted higher up on your body.

Latest Discussions