Favorite animal style

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm just curious, whats your favorite animal style and why? I'm taking Kajukenbo and we use some tiger and crane techniques.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Are you asking about "Animal Styles" in CMA, meaning complete systems such as tiger, crane, dragon, monkey? Or are you asking about an animal technique within a style such as bear within Xingyiquan, or snake form in Bagua or white crane posture in Taijiquan?

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My father trained in 5 animal styles, and I always deeply enjoyed the smoothness of dragon, although I don't practice 5 animal style myself.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you asking about "Animal Styles" in CMA, meaning complete systems such as tiger, crane, dragon, monkey? Or are you asking about an animal technique within a style such as bear within Xingyiquan, or snake form in Bagua or white crane posture in Taijiquan?
I'm asking as in Tiger, Monkey, Dragon etc.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'd be good at Grizzly Bear style.

There is a Grizzly Bear style, right?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, given that the availability of instruction in animal styles is not all that common, I think it is unlikely that most people would have the opportunity to train more than one of them. It's not like most cities just have all the animal Kung fu schools all lined up in a row so you can go in and sample them. So that one that might be available would probably be the favorite.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, given that the availability of instruction in animal styles is not all that common, I think it is unlikely that most people would have the opportunity to train more than one of them. It's not like most cities just have all the animal Kung fu schools all lined up in a row so you can go in and sample them. So that one that might be available would probably be the favorite.
I would say that's with several school. Some arts just not in every city. I know Jeet Kune do and Sambo schools aren't everywhere, but there schools out there. I'm asking for the ones the have raking a class or seen the style on tv or YouTube.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say that's with several school. Some arts just not in every city. I know Jeet Kune do and Sambo schools aren't everywhere, but there schools out there. I'm asking for the ones the have raking a class or seen the style on tv or YouTube.
Well, I would not give any weight to opinions based on having taken a class or two or having seen it on YouTube. Someone needs to really understand it on some genuine level in order for the opinion to mean anything.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I would not give any weight to opinions based on having taken a class or two or having seen it on YouTube. Someone needs to really understand it on some genuine level in order for the opinion to mean anything.
I'm just asking for opinions. I'm not going to do anything based of what people say

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm just asking for opinions. I'm not going to do anything based of what people say
I understand that, but I suggest you also need to understand that if someone does not have some quality of real understanding of something, his opinion on that topic will have no value.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You do realize that the original name of the Tibetan method that became the three related methods of Lama, White Crane, and Hop Gar, was called Lion's Roar?

Could they destroy demons and tear the clothes off of their adversaries with their voice? :D

No I did not, thanks for letting me know.... but then that is southern stuff, they speak funny in the south and no one can understand them, just ask clfsean :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps a better way to approach this would be to say, anyone here who has experience with an animal system, pleas share your thoughts on it. What do you like or dislike, what system is it, etc.

That could lead to some good info.

I'll start.

I train Tibetan White Crane, have done so since about...1998 or so, tho I have been training in the martial arts since about 1984. The system makes a lot of sense to me, there is a heavy focus on body mechanics that work, learning a full-body engagement method for powerful techniques that can be used in just about everything that you do. I find that to be more of a "principle focus" rather than "technique focus", but with the caveate that our techniques embody these principles and act as a vehicle to train and understand the principles.

That might be a bit confusing if you haven't experienced it before.

At any rate, once I began to really understand the method, I stopped doing the other systems that I had been training, to focus on this system exclusively. That is how strongly I feel about it.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could they destroy demons and tear the clothes off of their adversaries with their voice? :D

No I did not, thanks for letting me know.... but then that is southern stuff, they speak funny in the south and no one can understand them, just ask clfsean :D

Jealous???

Latest Discussions