Farewell to a heroa and appreciation from his parents for MTers.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just arrived home from a 20 hour round trip to the funeral of one of my students who was killed in Agfhanistan. It was an emotional time but a brilliant send off.

The funeral was being held in Wimbourne, a beautiful little town in the New Forest. The coach had started off at four this morning in the pouring rain but as we got further south the weather started clearing and by the time we arrived it was the sort of day you only get in an English autumn, a golden mellow day. We were all dropped of at the local branch of the British Legion where the ladies had turned out with tea, coffee and bisquits for us, those that wear to wear uniform got changed then we went down to Wimbourne Minster for the service.

The path to the Minster was lined with the QRL Lance party, smart in their dark blue cavalry uniform, complete with spurs. Crowds lined the streets, all the shops and pubs had shut, the whole town I swear came out. The Brtish Legion standard bearers were on the road outside.

Inside the 1300 year old church we sat and waited for the coffin and the family to arrive. A quarter of an hour before the service the minute bell rang out, silence descended everywhere until we stood for the coffin bearers. Andy's coffin was placed down by the bearer party and his family took their seats.

it was a long service and it didn't matter what religion if any you were, it was an expression of sadness and support for th family as much as anything as well as a great showing of pride everone had for him. The first hymn sung was Jerusalem. The commanding Officer read the Eulogy as well as two messages he'd been directed to give to the family, one was from her Majesty the Queen, the other from General Petraeus, both very personal.

The second hymn was 'I vow to thee my country', perfect. the third is the traditional one for these occasions 'Abide with me'. Andy's parents read out a poem about their son, they were so quiet and dignified it broke your heart.

The bearer party came to take the coffin out, the family followed then the regimental party which I was in. It was then I saw how crowded the church was and how many people had been outside. it really was hero's send off.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-11482851

Afterwards everyone went back to the British Legion who had laid a big spread out for everyone and I had a chance to talk to Andy's parents. I had written to them earlier, a three page letter letting them know what we'd done, etc and I had also told them of Martial Talk and the fact that they had the thoughts and prayers of so many of you from so many different places. his dad held my hand and said he was so touched by your thoughts, it was deeply appreciated and to thank you all. I told him we were brothers and sisters in martial arts and while Andy wasn't known to you personally, he was our brother in spirit. He said it really helped him and his wife to know so many people were thinking of them.

I cried at the end of the funeral of course, as they turned the coffin around with their military precision, it's hard to think I won't see him again. I'm so proud of him though and I'm proud to have known him, he was a joy to teach and to learn from. He had a zest for life that meant while his life was short it was so full it was worth twice as many years as he'd had.

I will remember him always.

Death or Glory!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I join you in tears shed for the fallen, my friend.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just arrived home from a 20 hour round trip to the funeral of one of my students who was killed in Agfhanistan. It was an emotional time but a brilliant send off.

The funeral was being held in Wimbourne, a beautiful little town in the New Forest. The coach had started off at four this morning in the pouring rain but as we got further south the weather started clearing and by the time we arrived it was the sort of day you only get in an English autumn, a golden mellow day. We were all dropped of at the local branch of the British Legion where the ladies had turned out with tea, coffee and bisquits for us, those that wear to wear uniform got changed then we went down to Wimbourne Minster for the service.

The path to the Minster was lined with the QRL Lance party, smart in their dark blue cavalry uniform, complete with spurs. Crowds lined the streets, all the shops and pubs had shut, the whole town I swear came out. The Brtish Legion standard bearers were on the road outside.

Inside the 1300 year old church we sat and waited for the coffin and the family to arrive. A quarter of an hour before the service the minute bell rang out, silence descended everywhere until we stood for the coffin bearers. Andy's coffin was placed down by the bearer party and his family took their seats.

it was a long service and it didn't matter what religion if any you were, it was an expression of sadness and support for th family as much as anything as well as a great showing of pride everone had for him. The first hymn sung was Jerusalem. The commanding Officer read the Eulogy as well as two messages he'd been directed to give to the family, one was from her Majesty the Queen, the other from General Petraeus, both very personal.

The second hymn was 'I vow to thee my country', perfect. the third is the traditional one for these occasions 'Abide with me'. Andy's parents read out a poem about their son, they were so quiet and dignified it broke your heart.

The bearer party came to take the coffin out, the family followed then the regimental party which I was in. It was then I saw how crowded the church was and how many people had been outside. it really was hero's send off.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-11482851

Afterwards everyone went back to the British Legion who had laid a big spread out for everyone and I had a chance to talk to Andy's parents. I had written to them earlier, a three page letter letting them know what we'd done, etc and I had also told them of Martial Talk and the fact that they had the thoughts and prayers of so many of you from so many different places. his dad held my hand and said he was so touched by your thoughts, it was deeply appreciated and to thank you all. I told him we were brothers and sisters in martial arts and while Andy wasn't known to you personally, he was our brother in spirit. He said it really helped him and his wife to know so many people were thinking of them.

I cried at the end of the funeral of course, as they turned the coffin around with their military precision, it's hard to think I won't see him again. I'm so proud of him though and I'm proud to have known him, he was a joy to teach and to learn from. He had a zest for life that meant while his life was short it was so full it was worth twice as many years as he'd had.

I will remember him always.

Death or Glory!
Very very touching, thank you for sharing this sad moment in time. A fitting farewell to a brave lad.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ave atque Vale

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Tez.

I recently went to a service for a young man who had died in an accident, and it was also a very uplifting experience. The church was packed beyond capacity and the service extended well past its allotted time as loved one after loved one took the pulpit with warm stories and gratitude for all the experiences and memories he had given them. We should all be so blessed with a sendoff like that.

Latest Discussions