Fake black belts

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
so is there any corruption in Japan money for a Dan? not saying there is but i did hear that a certain Aikido organisation liked money.
In Kendo 6th dan is quite straight forward. But 7/8 it's not just what you know but who you know that steps in. But it is possible to pass without taking that route. I was taken to a few weekend practices and get togethers a long time ago. Going there I was told that a certain sensei would be there and I needed to make myself known!

In Iaido money has exchanged hands for gradings and there was a big scandal some years ago. I have seen grade getters giving money to other sensei to introduce them abroad as being "intanashionaru" makes them good candidates for promotion. Some sensei asking extortionate prices to teach foreign seminars.

In Japanese we use the words "budo seishin" To possess the heart and spirit of Budo. But I found out many years ago that if you want the seishin you have to put it in there yourself! Mixed in the with grade getters are some good people who find a good sensei/mentor with principles.

One menkyo kaiden holder told me years ago. "We are all human, don't expect too much of us".

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've, thankfully, never run into anyone like this thread is discussing. But I have known one (actual black belt) who promoted himself to higher dans. I've also been around a few, not teachers, who claimed to have "earned" a black belt. We will always have them around and can only take them on a case by case basis. :rolleyes:
When all said and done once they step onto the mat/floor, it's quite obvious to experienced people who and what they are. The same goes for those in koryu that don't use belts.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In Kendo 6th dan is quite straight forward. But 7/8 it's not just what you know but who you know that steps in. But it is possible to pass without taking that route. I was taken to a few weekend practices and get togethers a long time ago. Going there I was told that a certain sensei would be there and I needed to make myself known!

In Iaido money has exchanged hands for gradings and there was a big scandal some years ago. I have seen grade getters giving money to other sensei to introduce them abroad as being "intanashionaru" makes them good candidates for promotion. Some sensei asking extortionate prices to teach foreign seminars.

In Japanese we use the words "budo seishin" To possess the heart and spirit of Budo. But I found out many years ago that if you want the seishin you have to put it in there yourself! Mixed in the with grade getters are some good people who find a good sensei/mentor with principles.

One menkyo kaiden holder told me years ago. "We are all human, don't expect too much of us".
It's like everything now..money talks. Look at the big Bruce Lee thing in the 70s & 80s...everyone wanted to learn Wing Chun. The Chinese later happily took foreign students teaching their " secrets". Truth be told there's none. The most succesful fighters are not in Hong Kong in ( WT)
I know WT guys from Germany who went to Hongkong & demolished Chinese "experts " in fights.
Who dominates the MMA ..etc certainly not the Japanese. Sometimes high Dan Grades mean nothing in a fighting Arena. Your Systems are different though as not everyone can draw & use a sword. Definitely need skills not found anywhere else. Being honest with you I'm not impressed when someone says I'm a 5th Dan or whatever. Can't be bothered with all this master, big grand master stuff..people crawling like the guys a god or something.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When all said and done once they step onto the mat/floor, it's quite obvious to experienced people who and what they are. The same goes for those in koryu that don't use belts.
Yeah I mean that's why I like the FMA stuff...you got a reputation you got challenged. Not sure about nowadays but I'm sure they still meet up & test each other without body armour like in escrima tournaments. If you ain't what you say you are..be prepared for a few bruises & embarrassment. I doubt death as nowadays it's probably forbidden

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I mean that's why I like the FMA stuff...you got a reputation you got challenged. Not sure about nowadays but I'm sure they still meet up & test each other without body armour like in escrima tournaments. If you ain't what you say you are..be prepared for a few bruises & embarrassment. I doubt death as nowadays it's probably forbidden
Memories of sitting on the bench with GM Cacoy Canete. Then he stood up to show his magic.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's like everything now..money talks. Look at the big Bruce Lee thing in the 70s & 80s...everyone wanted to learn Wing Chun. The Chinese later happily took foreign students teaching their " secrets". Truth be told there's none. The most succesful fighters are not in Hong Kong in ( WT)
I know WT guys from Germany who went to Hongkong & demolished Chinese "experts " in fights.
Who dominates the MMA ..etc certainly not the Japanese. Sometimes high Dan Grades mean nothing in a fighting Arena. Your Systems are different though as not everyone can draw & use a sword. Definitely need skills not found anywhere else. Being honest with you I'm not impressed when someone says I'm a 5th Dan or whatever. Can't be bothered with all this master, big grand master stuff..people crawling like the guys a god or something.
I agree in part. Just like in the military, longevity equals higher rank in the martial arts. In some cases, this equals an incredible career, full of commendations and countless stories. But this is where they separate. Unless there is a clearly visible, provable 'paper trail' and history of success in personal competition or student competition, rank can be very misleading. With the open format of martial arts promotions in many instances and zero regulations regarding actual promotions, all bets are off on rank equaling quality.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
just watched this old video of Obata who was quite famous some years back & it reminded me of an Aikido "Master" i met. He basically trained his own art from Aikido & i remember thinking what the hell is this dancing? I contacted the head of his organisation & the guy told me, yes we have spoken to him a few times but he will not listen. we do not want him teaching what he does.
about a year later i spoke to a guy who still trained with him & he told me he was booted out the Organisation because of his Aikido. It was just not anything to do with aikido & i remember this "Master" telling me, we must be the better human being & never hurt an attacker. They never even trained proper locks which is a fundamental part of Aikido.
I went up to this "Masters" training & suddenly he was teaching Jo kata & i asked him about this. He said, i am now a student of Obata. I said but is this not against your ideas? no answer then i asked so you are his student, have you met him? oh no i watch his videos ..... i walked away laughing. was making up his own kata too....

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m so over this mind set.

As a veteran and a black belt I don’t care if people with self confidence issues are dressing up or lying to make themselves feel better.

The only time I care is if people are using those lies to make money because fraud is fucked up.

Latest Discussions