Eyeglass frames for MA training?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Medical issue. I'm OD -6.25 +2.25 Axis 3 / OS -6.75 +2.50 Axis 5 and +1.75 NV OD and OS. That's optometrist-speak for 'really, really, blind' and with severe astigmatism in both eyes as well. Yes, they make contacts for astigmatism now. No, I am not a candidate. Been through all this with my ophthalmologist, who's an MD. He knows the contact lens makers like to say they can address this, he disagrees and so do I. So glasses for me and to be quite honest, I have no desire to shove things into my eyeballs.

It can suck training in contacts.

Both of my eyes are soignoficantly astigmatic. I have worn the old-style gas permeable lenses since high school and they do a fine job for dayly stuff...but to be honest...I hate waring them for martial arts. One smack around the eyes (even accidental) and it stings like a *****. I have worn my cheapo shooting glasses training before to protect my lenses...to be honest I have found the glasses to just be easier.

I like the goggles Gordon has...I may try to find similar ones this summer when I see the doc again.

Another idea...I know of at least one online optical that will retrofit old frames with new lenses. That can also be a way to save some coin, if that is an option. I'll have the links for you in a few.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bill,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e367164&itemid=310204316180&ff4=263602_263622

This page from Omar's link has the exact same model I used to own. They should have a rubbery bit at the bridge. The part where the frame meets the strap at the temples also has some cushy material. The strap can be removed for washing or replacement.

It took forever to wear these out, and my optician recut my old lenses from my previous pair to fit the new frame. I've had three pairs in fifteen years. The first pair took about five years to break -- Sensei kicked me in the head one day.

I also use them at the gym. If I'm on the treadmill or elliptical, they don't slip and slide when I sweat.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I checked the links I had in my work e-mail.

The one that my friend recommends highly is the same one that Harlan recommended: www.zennioptical.com

The one that my shift counterpart used to retrofit old frames with a new frame:

www.eyeglasspeople.com

On a side note...both people I know had no issue using FSA funds either...just in case that is an option for you.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck with this, Bill. Let me know how it works out. The big difference goggles made for me was not so much when working with a partner. Without my glasses, I was missing bits of instruction. Taking off my regular frames to practise, then putting them back on to observe, was a hassle. If the goggles became an encumbrance, as with grappling for instance, I could just toss them to the edge of the mat.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Medical issue. I'm OD -6.25 +2.25 Axis 3 / OS -6.75 +2.50 Axis 5 and +1.75 NV OD and OS. That's optometrist-speak for 'really, really, blind' and with severe astigmatism in both eyes as well. Yes, they make contacts for astigmatism now. No, I am not a candidate. Been through all this with my ophthalmologist, who's an MD. He knows the contact lens makers like to say they can address this, he disagrees and so do I. So glasses for me and to be quite honest, I have no desire to shove things into my eyeballs.

That is indeed quite bad. My wife has -9. Without glasses she is blind for all intents and purposes.
Me, I am at +0.75 R and 1.25 L. I simply take off my glasses for MA class because they don't really make a difference when I am not reading or looking at a screen.

Goggles would probably be the safest solution for if you get hit.
I use(d) them (non prescription, just protection) for playing squash, ever since I nearly lost my left eye in a freak squash accident before I needed prescription glasses. My partner and I were trained competition players and following proper squash safety guidelines. I was looking at her hit to anticipate where I should go next. The ball ricochet off her racket, and instead of going straight ahead, it shot away at a 90 degree angle, directly in my eye with all the energy from her hit. I don't remember getting hit but I remember screaming in agony. If the ball hadn't partially hit my eye socket first, my eye would have been pulped. Even today, in a pitch black room, I see the silvery outline of the ball in my left eye when my eyes move.

That's why I favor goggles over glasses for sports activities. The goggles are designed to withstand impact. Glasses aren't.

Last edited:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I went to get my last pair, I saw one pair that you could pretty much twist and bend like a pretzel, but of course, you're going to pay $$$ for those. Not sure how much you want to spend though. Your best bet may be to go with the goggles.

Pretty much any frame made with titanium will do this. They're incredibly durable. Don't really cost that much more than the usual frames.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to say thanks to everyone and to Omar!!!

I followed the links Omar put online for me. Found a lot of what I was looking for, but it took me hours to track down the fact that MOST of the goggles available stop at prescription -6.00, which is not strong enough for me. They simply can't do a stronger prescription!

However, I did find one of the links that worked out for me:

http://www.clearlylenz.com/product.asp?id=219

There was an additional charge for 'high-index' lens material so that my thick prescription would fit in the frame, so the total with shipping came to $94 USD. They company was very prompt in replying to my emails and told me that the lenses also have anti-reflection coating at no additional charge. I didn't bother with UV, since I'll only be wearing these indoors.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help! These guys say that my glasses should be around in a couple weeks, so when I get them I'll post a review and let you all know how they worked out.

Thanks again! Thanks, Omar!!!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped. I found one of the links Omar had given worked well:

http://www.clearlylenz.com/product.asp?id=219

I ended up paying a bit more for mine; as I wanted hi-index lenses due to my strong prescription. Total was $94 via PayPal, including shipping. The owner of the company kept in contact with me the whole time and sent me a tracking number when the goggles shipped. Took a week extra for mine due to my strong prescription. However, I'm absolutely pleased!

http://twitpic.com/1gc057

87900091-c5492c4f872661e2ebeeb2febe6c6d07.4bca016e-scaled.jpg

I think these are going to work out really well for sparring. Thanks again, everyone!

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bill, maybe you should just spend more time in the library or playing D&D and leave the tough guy sports to, well... tough guys.

To quote Ogre -
"NERDS!"

(I'm freakin' KIDDING, people)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, maybe you should just spend more time in the library or playing D&D and leave the tough guy sports to, well... tough guys.

To quote Ogre -
"NERDS!"

(I'm freakin' KIDDING, people)

:p

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even after you get your new glasses I'd encourage you to spar and train without them often. The first thing you are likely to lose in a street scuffle are your glasses so it's good to try to operate without them every once in a while. I've pretty bad eyesight but very rarely wear my glasses in the dojang for that reason.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even after you get your new glasses I'd encourage you to spar and train without them often. The first thing you are likely to lose in a street scuffle are your glasses so it's good to try to operate without them every once in a while. I've pretty bad eyesight but very rarely wear my glasses in the dojang for that reason.

I appreciate the thought, but speaking frankly, you don't see through my eyes. I cannot see without my glasses. At all. So sparring is just about useless, unless you like getting hit in the head a lot. Yes, I realize that in a street fight, I'd be likely to lose my glasses (have and yes, it sucked). However, training when blind only means getting your *** kicked a lot. I need practice sparring, not practice getting hit because I can't see the punch coming.

Latest Discussions