Extraneous requirements in your school?

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My requirements to get to black belt in my school is to do two classes a day (2hours of class per day). Teach some classes, do katas from white belt to brown belt level before and after classes. Write a 5,000 word essay, do a written test, provide a Martial Arts Resume, do 1,000 of each kata per week, and run 10K.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't know that. I could have sworn it was a question on one of my certification tests. I stand corrected, and happily so.

Bill...if this is a concern, its really worth it to know to know for certain what one's local laws actually are. There could be other matters to consider before one starts. For example, in NH for a civilian to be protected under the Good Samaritan statute (NH RSA 508:12), the civilian ALSO becomes duty-bound to get the victim to the care of a qualified professional as soon as possible.

I'm no attorney, but this to me sounds as if a civilian can get more protection under the Good Samaritan law by taking the common sense step of taking out a cell and calling 911 first before beginning CPR. It sounds simple....but most of us know that in a live situation with emotions running high and adrenaline being pumped through one's system -- the simple stuff ain't always so simple. ;)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My requirements to get to black belt in my school is to do two classes a day (2hours of class per day). Teach some classes, do katas from white belt to brown belt level before and after classes. Write a 5,000 word essay, do a written test, provide a Martial Arts Resume, do 1,000 of each kata per week, and run 10K.
1000 of each kata a week? How long a time frame is the requirement, 6 months out from your black belt test? Assuming 8 katas at 30 seconds each, that's 66 hours of kata training, in addition to your other training and regular life(school, work,family, friends). If your kata are longer than 30 seconds, you do the math.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Google says there are 12 kata in goju ryu ... I have no idea how many of those are in your color ranks. How many kata are we talking?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Did you have to do the same?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely start ems first. I know that have a heart association teaches now. The very first step once you've identified that you actually ate in a CPR situation is to activate the emergency medical system.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions