Experts: $4 a gallon gas coming soon

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. Theres tax on gasoline here too though. Although I believe its a state by state thing in the US.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is fun:

http://toccionline.kizash.com/films/1001/178/index.php

"I can't afford my gasoline, the prices have become obscene...."

Think about ways this hurts the nation:

Truckers pay more for gas, shipping prices therefore go up. Product prices go up as a result.

Airline fairs go up. People travel less as a result. The service industries relying on tourism suffer.

Municipal transit pays more for gas, as do police, emergency services, maintenance crews. Taxes go up to pay for the gas, or in the case of transit a fare increase goes into effect.

Regards,

Steve

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gas prices will come down if an alternative starts catching up, or, we have hit peak oil and they are up for good...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Yep. Theres tax on gasoline here too though. Although I believe its a state by state thing in the US.

Logic.

If I paid $2.50 a gallon last week in Michigan a state of the USA.

If I paid $2.89 a gallon yesterday at the same location.

Europe is already at $5.00+ equivalent

The Price is just an adjustment?

This does not follow.

In Ontario it is reported that it is now $1.259 per litre. This CAD or Candian Dollars, not US. Which is about 84%+ exchange to the USD. See http://www.x-rates.com/. So multiple $125.9 by 1.189 is $1.496951 for adjusted ratio.

At 3.8 Litres to gallon, you get 3.8 * $1.496951 is $5.6884138.

It looks like the rest of the world is seeing a rise as well, just not at the same rate.

This means one of two things.

1) Either people were making more profits in Canada and Europe

or

2) They had a higher Tax base, that is used for infrastructure.

This means people are just being greedy here in the USA, or price adjusting, with no return to the people, as it is else where.

So, I have no problem if it is either one, I just want people to realize what it is they are discussing, in logical terms, and comparisons.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Gonna suck bigtime in the North. That whole winter thing. Streets won't be plowed, homes wont be heated, etc.

How long's it take to get a gun again?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In New Orleans? Not long.

I paid over $40 to fill up my Toyota last week. First time ever...in fact, it wasn't that long ago that I broke the $30 mark.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The hurricane season is just beginning...and we can expect a greater number and intensity of the storms because of global warming. At this point, there are two tropical depressions in the Atlantic that are strengthening. One is a named storm...Lee. Other areas will probably take a hit...and it is possible that the Gulf Coast takes another hit.

I'll take -40 below anyday over this...

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I paid $3.29/gal yesterday, and I've heard prospects of topping $4 by the weekend since it's a holiday. So... anyone want to buy my Lincoln? I'm thinking a bicycle investment might be a good idea...

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of this has to be price gouging by gas stations/companies. Last night on my way home, I passed 4 gas stations in the last about mile and a half to my house, and the prices ranged from 2.99 on the low side to 3.20 on the high side. What the heck is that?

Its going to cost a fortune to heat my house this winter. Damn fuel oil.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The hurricane season is just beginning...and we can expect a greater number and intensity of the storms because of global warming. At this point, there are two tropical depressions in the Atlantic that are strengthening. One is a named storm...Lee. Other areas will probably take a hit...and it is possible that the Gulf Coast takes another hit.

I'll take -40 below anyday over this...
It'll probably be -40 at one point this winter. That'll be when I can almost feel the money being ripped from my pocket for fuel oil.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking at converting to wind/solar for power, then heat off space heaters rather than gas. Several hundred bucks now, vs hundred every month. Haven't worked out the details yet.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I'm looking at converting to wind/solar for power, then heat off space heaters rather than gas. Several hundred bucks now, vs hundred every month. Haven't worked out the details yet.

Space heaters?

I thought electricity was incredibly expensive in the states. We are lucky here in , we produce an incredible amount of electrical power. I still think my bill is way too high, but in comparison to what I have heard from other provinces and some people in the states, we have it good and gas is still cheaper then heating my home by electricity.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I have looked into solar for power. It is incredibly expensive to get set up. I think it would be roughly a $60K investment for me to get all my power needs from solar alone. It might be lower now, as I have been switching over to flouresents as light bulbs burn out. This can only go up if I started running a bunch of space heaters.

I'll tell you one thing though, my house won't make it above about 60 degrees F this winter unless my daughter is there.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:

One of the mags I read recently metioned the average costs, I will try to find it and post it here

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ginshun said:
It might be lower now, as I have been switching over to flouresents as light bulbs burn out. This can only go up if I started running a bunch of space heaters.

I'll tell you one thing though, my house won't make it above about 60 degrees F this winter unless my daughter is there.

When we moved into our new home we put fluorescents in and I am waiting to see once winter comes and there is less day light if it brings out electrical bill down. The nice thing about it is, if the kids leave the lights on, they don't burn out as fast.

I have full intention of dropping the temp in my house as well. "put a sweater on" will probably be said a lot in my house this winter.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our place is electrical heat, and living on a lake in Northern Ontario is quite cold in the winter. Our average heating bill in the winter was $300 + each month. I switched to energy saver bulbs, and saw about a 15% drop in the the monthly costs for electricty even though the electrical company raised rates by about 5% that year. Last year I double plastic'd the window one layer inside and one layer outside, what a difference. We also disconnected the exhaust hose from the dryer and did one load of laundry each day in the morning. Our house stayed warm all winter long, and our biggest bill was just under $200. There are tons of little things you can do to help yourself save a few $$$ without spending a lot of money and without freezing yourself ll winter.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I just checked again. Last month I used 701 kWH of power, for an electric bill of $78 and change.

I live in northeren WI. For me to purchase a grid connected system that produces that much power, it costs 45 grand. This is jsut for the system, I am no electrition, so I am sure I'd have to figure in several more thousand to have it installed. At this rate, I am talking 50+ years before it pays for itself.

I'd love to do it, but it is just not finacially viable at this point.

Here is the websight that I am looking at.

http://www.mrsolar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MSOS&Category_Code=ce

dig up your last electic bill and see what it would cost you.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Our place is electrical heat, and living on a lake in Northern Ontario is quite cold in the winter. Our average heating bill in the winter was $300 + each month. I switched to energy saver bulbs, and saw about a 15% drop in the the monthly costs for electricty even though the electrical company raised rates by about 5% that year. Last year I double plastic'd the window one layer inside and one layer outside, what a difference. We also disconnected the exhaust hose from the dryer and did one load of laundry each day in the morning. Our house stayed warm all winter long, and our biggest bill was just under $200. There are tons of little things you can do to help yourself save a few $$$ without spending a lot of money and without freezing yourself ll winter.

I have a brother and his family that live in the same town you do, Rob. They have a wood burning stove that they get up twice a night to fill to keep the house warm because their electrical bill to heat the house was astronomical as you mentioned.

This year I plan on putting plastic on the windows as well and we need to replace some weatherstipping on the doors. Every little bit helps.

I do believe, and I could be wrong, but I read somewhere years ago that Solar Heating is not much of an option here in Manitoba because there is not enough sunny days, cloud cover is too thick and daylight is limited during the winter months to make it a viable option.

Latest Discussions