Experts: $4 a gallon gas coming soon

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The surge in wholesale prices on commodity markets translated into a jump in refiner margins, the spread between what a refinery pays for crude and what it can charge for fuels and other products.

Overnight, refiner margins for gasoline doubled and are now more than triple their 12-month average, according to M.J. Ervin & Associates Inc. in Calgary. For gasoline, the refiner margin rocketed to 30.2 cents (Canadian) a litre, based on the New York Harbour Price.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nalia said:
I have a brother and his family that live in the same town you do, Rob. They have a wood burning stove that they get up twice a night to fill to keep the house warm because their electrical bill to heat the house was astronomical as you mentioned.
At the house we just moved from, we used a wood burning stove - very efficient and only three years old. Now we only have a fireplace with a blower, so ... we'll see how this winter goes. We might do an insert, if we can (custom fireplace), but if not, we might get stuck having to revamp the fireplace with soapstone.

Icky electric bills, just icky.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarite... if I cant afford to heat it this winter, Ill just start the floors on fire.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Next week I'm starting a car pool with someone at work. Not sure exactly how it's going to pan out but we're going to make an attempt at it. I'd rather ride my bicycle but it's going to start getting colder and darker for longer. I'd hate to get hit by a car on the road. :jedi1:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I'd hate to get hit by a car on the road. :jedi1:
Just make sure you are really good at rolling and falling.

:)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some local gas stations ran out today.

Others raised their prices two or three times today in reflect of the demand.

The news reported gas over $6.00 a gallon for premium and just under $6 for regular.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Y'know, it's really rough for us, but think how badly these oil company execs must be fairing. I mean, sure we can't afford to eat and buy gas the same week, and will probably be seeing 300+ buck heating bills, but damn it Biff will have to choose between gassing up the Benz or the Jag. Muffy will have to cut back her 3x daily visits to her personal trainer to 2x a week. They will have to use the Lear jet less and possibly even have to fly Elite Class. (Shudder).
Those poor bastards...how they will suffer right along with us all. They are heartbroken, having to sacrifice so, and possibly watch their income drop to a mere 7 figures this year. How can anyone possibly live like that.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Y'know, it's really rough for us, but think how badly these oil company execs must be fairing. I mean, sure we can't afford to eat and buy gas the same week, and will probably be seeing 300+ buck heating bills, but damn it Biff will have to choose between gassing up the Benz or the Jag. Muffy will have to cut back her 3x daily visits to her personal trainer to 2x a week. They will have to use the Lear jet less and possibly even have to fly Elite Class. (Shudder).
Those poor bastards...how they will suffer right along with us all. They are heartbroken, having to sacrifice so, and possibly watch their income drop to a mere 7 figures this year. How can anyone possibly live like that.
You just bite your lip and try to pull through, you know? Do the best you can with meager resources...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can we now tie this thread into the "Causes of Crime" thread?

Cuz... well... yeah.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree 100% Bob. These oil compnaies have huge insurance policies for situations like this, but any chance to rape the consumer will and must be taken.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gas is now topped $3.20 here. A friend of mine was filling his car and the price jumped 11 cents between the time he started and the time he finished. They charged him the new price. It's robbery, plain and simple.

Oh, there will be "investigations" and the fat-cats will "look into it", but no "abuse" will be found I'm sure.

People and companies that profit from the suffering of others are scum. I would wish that those involved would suffer somehow, but they are immune to such pains, unless it hits them in the wallet.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:

Hahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob, your post totally reminded of an episode of South Park when the boys are lectured by an FBI agent about downloading music online. I love it: "If music downloading doesn't stop soon, P-Diddy won't be able to buy his son his own island for his birthday!"

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ponder this ..

Monday - 1 Share of Exxon Mobil Stock cost approximately $58.50

Friday - 1 Share of Exxon Mobil Stock cost approximately $60.70

With 6 Billion 300 Million shares out there, this company has increased in value more than $12,000,000,000.00 despite of (or because of) Hurrican Katrina.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Driving down a 1 mile stretch of road here, prices ranged from 2.89-3.99.
Last night a rep for Noco was on our local news and said that they were -losing- money on every gallon sold. That the gas we were buying at 3.10 was costing them 3.55.

Several local stations have already topped $4. I predict that by 9/6 it will have passed the $5 point.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

With 6 Billion 300 Million shares out there, this company has increased in value more than $12,000,000,000.00 despite of (or because of) Hurrican Katrina.

Naturally. If you produce something in high demand and your production capacity goes down but demand stays level, then your cost per unit is going to go up, meaning your revenue is going to go, meeaning your payoff to stockholders is going to go up, meaning your stock price is going to go up as more people try to get in on the action.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or, if a company owns an asset, and that asset is destroyed by a hurricane. The lost asset, and the additional cost of rebuilding the asset, will drive the value of the company down.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a related question.

Why is it, that the Stations by me, on the day they announced there might be a problem, and the Stock market caused the wholesale price of oil to go up, started rasing prices.

I mean, that gas was already at the station, paid for at the lower price...

I liken it to buying a case of twinkies at 10cents a twinkie, selling them for a quarter, then suddenly hearing that the twinkie factory burned down, and selling them for 2.00 each instead.

Its pure profiteering.

Or am I insane for thinking that?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Given the insane rush to the pumps, the higher price does help keep consumption at normal levels.

Latest Discussions