Exercises to improve awareness?

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had an incident the other day that made me realize I need to work on my situational awareness. The MA training has worked wonders for me, but I have quite a ways to go. Are there any exercises I can try? Or even just a good book or video or something? I'd love some suggestions.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
A model like the "Cooper Color Codes" (as mentioned above) can help with your understanding of how you should observe the world around you.

As far as actively having better awareness, the biggest factor is going to be avoiding what an instructor known as SouthNarc refers to as Task Fixation. Task fixation is when you get caught up in everyday actions/functions to the point that you are not paying attention to what is going on around you. Examples of this can include: talking/texting on your phone while in public (this is a biggie nowadays), digging through your purse/backpack/briefcase, putting the kids in their carseats, or messing with your receipts or checkbook while sitting in the car in the parking lot.
The best way to avoid this is to simply not do it (to the extent possible) and when you catch yourself, remind yourself that "I should be paying attention."

You can also make it a point to take a look around you after a certain number of steps or whatnot, just to get in the habit of being observant.
On that note, just looking around isn't enough, you have to actually SEE. So, make a game out of it every once in a while. Try to remember a "top down" description of the last five people you passed. What were they wearing? What color was their hair? Eyes? Any tattoos or piercings? Any noticeable scars? Any facial hair? What kind of shoes? etc.

just a few things to think about...

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. According to the color system I'm not as badly off as I thought. When I'm at home it's usually white, although it's a noisy neighborhood so I get a lot of reminders that the outside world exists. When I'm out and about it's usually yellow, with flashes of orange.

My biggest "task fixation" when I'm out and about is dog-related. Walking the dog is fraught with training opportunities. That, and my neighborhood has a terrible litter problem. What with the prostitution activity, for instance, I see used condoms all the time. (If you're reading this first thing in the morning I apologize.) It's imperative that I dedicate some situational awareness to keeping my eyes several inches ahead of his nose or I could have a very sick dog. That's what got me into trouble the other day. And no, there aren't any directions I can take him with less litter; it's all about the same.

So the point of this long ramble is that I will try that exercise, Kenpotex. What was that guy wearing two pedestrians ago? Was that a chicken bone or a folded newspaper on the ground next to the trash can? What's the name of the apartment complex at Oak and Magnolia? Good stuff. :supcool:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an incident the other day that made me realize I need to work on my situational awareness. The MA training has worked wonders for me, but I have quite a ways to go. Are there any exercises I can try? Or even just a good book or video or something? I'd love some suggestions.

I'm sure there are some good reference tools out there. I would say take note of how you do things when you go out. For example...when you pull into the parking lot, do you take a moment to scan the general area? Are you looking around as you're walking to your destination? Are you distracted by conversation? If you find that the things you're doing are safe, then you know you're on the right path, but if you're doing something that may put you in a position where you're not that aware, find out what you can do to make it safer.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's one for ya - walk around pretending like you're the criminal and run through situations in your head. What would you do? How would you snatch that purse, pull that woman into your car or steal that movie?

Where are the security cameras? Who can see you? Where are all the exits? How fast do you think that dude can run and what can you do to put him down while you nab his wallet? How can you time things so you can push the lady into her car and take off with the car and her too?

You may go through a paranoia stage as you develop awareness. Some people do, some people do not. If you do, remember this is an exercise and you can stop at any time.

Flea, for you specifically (I remember the PTSD thread) you may want to discuss this with your therapist too as this kind of exercise can exacerbate your symptoms either temporarily or permanently. It would be great if s/he helps council war vets.

Be careful, Flea.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've talked about this method before but I might as well post it again. My Sensei used to have us do this then go around the room doing stuff, opening doors, walking around and expect us to know.

Start by sitting on the floor like any other meditation exersize. Close your eyes, and start reaching out with your senses and probe the area around you. Your ears should be able to tell where everyone is (movement, breathing), your skin should be able to tell if there's any motion (changes in air pressure in the room, temperature), continue in this manner till you have an accurate view of the room.

Sensei would have us do this for 5 minutes at a time, then ask us what he did. Did he walk down the rows of students? What rows specifically? Did he open a door, cabinet, drawer? Was it even him (you should be able to hear the clothes and feel more air move from the gi as compared to a pair of jeans).

It's a process of learning how to see the world around you with more than your eyes. for me as a musician I depend equally on my ears and usually turn my side to someone I'm talking to rather than face them. Just gotta learn how to reach out with everything you have.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shesulsa beat me to it. Take on the role of the predator, in your mind, pick a victim and then figure out why you picked that person, pick a location, and figure out why that location etc.

When you watch movies or TV put yourself in the victims situation, and figure out if, and how, you could have avoided it. What could the victim have done differently?

Playing these kinds of mind games with yourself keeps you thinking of options, and coming up with alternatives.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The book "The Gift of Fear" ...lots of great information for awareness and preventions.....worth reading and owning!

Always trust your "Inctints" ....its your first warning of dangers or something isn't right! ...many details in the book too..

It does teach you some exercises to practice.

Lots of infor on sites about awareness...police officers do train to notice everything around them, learn to practice looking and observing whats going on around you..

Never put headphones when on the streets or walking in around in building including jogging! do not use cell phones when walking and jogging too...always be alert to surroundings ...this take practice without becoming paranoid! and NO reading any materials, and computers too, ipods etc...research this futher..

Aloha, ....learning to be observant...takes practices...and know the difference of being smart and paraniod!

Last edited:

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exercises?

Sure, pay the local gangs to find you and beat you up.

That will improve your awareness. Nothing like being hunted improves your awareness.

Deaf

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wasn't there a movie to that effect? Somebody committed suicide by hiring out a hit on himself. Then, with his existence being so precarious, he suddenly found reasons to live ... I don't remember what it was called, but it's an interesting concept.

Seems a little drastic for my purposes though. :wink1:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cannot point you to books or DVDs, but what might work for you is to always try to know where you are, and what could go wrong. It's not that I am paranoid, but I never just 'walk down the street carefree'. I always try to notice my surroundings and whether they might be a threat or not.

I don't blindly turn corners, walk down the street or past doorways or entrances. I don't do these things because I am afraid. I do them so that I don't have to be scared. If I've spotted potential risks way in advance, I can take away the element of surprise.

What also helps -and this is just my personal opinion- is to listen to your gut feeling. (what follows is a copy of an older post. sorry if you've read it already) if something triggers your 'weirdness' sensors, the best thing to do is to get away from that person or situation asap.

It's happened a couple of times in the past when I was a student that I was in a situation where someone or something made me really uncomfortable for no apparent reason. I just had the impression that something was really, really wrong, even though everything seemed fine on the surface. Every time I decided to listen to my gut feeling and got away from that situation or did whatever my gut was telling me. I know for certain that on one occasion it saved my life (or at least saved me from being a cripple).

My rationalization is that this is a remnant of our survival mechanism from the time we were hunters / gatherers. There is too much information around us for us to keep track of in a concious way. The survival part of our brain looks at all the little things that get discarded to see if there is anything wrong, and then yells at us if something bad is about to happen. Kinda like how animals in a forest flee before a natural disaster.

I don't know if this is a correct explanation or not, but I do know that if your gut / intuition / whatever tells you that something is -really- wrong, it is best to listen. Additionally, I think that by listening to those feelings, you can stimulate your awarness. And by ignoring it you suppress it and dull the instincts for self preservation.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a correct explanation or not, but I do know that if your gut / intuition / whatever tells you that something is -really- wrong, it is best to listen. Additionally, I think that by listening to those feelings, you can stimulate your awarness. And by ignoring it you suppress it and dull the instincts for self preservation.

How very true! :asian:

Gavin de Becker's description is that because the intuition isn't hampered by logic, it can process all those tiny subtle cues much faster. With logic, you're likely to weed through them one by one and reject at least a few.

I personally experienced this a few months ago when I was out walking my dog one night (notice a trend here?) Someone passed me coming the other way and stopped abruptly and leaned against a fence as I went by. I got an adrenaline dump and crossed the street; it took me days to figure out why I got that reaction. He whipped around way too fast for that casual drag on his cigarette; his body language in that fence-lean was way too nonchalant, and so forth. There was a lot of intentional deception in that body language. Sure enough, as I crossed the street I saw him shrug and walk back the way he'd come. If I'd ignored that adrenaline dump I might have done that later reflection from a hospital bed.

As a side note, this morning I discovered a new way to test one's situational awareness at home. A broken toaster will gauge your smoke alarm's readiness. This is also a highly efficient window-opening drill. :rolleyes:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When something doesn't "FEEL" right? ....mostly likely your feelings are correct!

Learn to trust those "instincting" feelings...it may save your life...many times!

Great to read all of the above.....good stuffs people!

Aloha,

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I good one I've found is to simply consciously use your perefiral (sorry my spelling if poor) vision. For those who don't know, it is using the full range of your sight ie the width. This is much more natural for women and stems from the caveman days where men needed long sight (focus) and navigation skills for hunting (hence why most men instinctively know which way north is). Women on the other hand, needed to be aware of their surroundings - to keep an eye on the kids etc and needed to be beter communicators to keep peace within the house.

Another one is to just notice things and mentally say them to yourself. Red car, white dog, just past Mono St etc.

Lastley, you can take out one of you senses for a few minutes a day eg do things with your eyes clothes, or simple sit outside and listen - in our busy worlds full of technology it is easy to forget how much is actually going on around us - even if we are the only ones in the bush

Jeevan Lim-Nunez
www.firstaction.com.au
www.freeselfdefencetips.com

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Sense? ..most of us have all 5....many of us are unwear of them many times..

Learn to use them more often....Women wear lots of Perfume...yet many Men do not notice (unless strong)...

Foods ..like BBQ...you will notice the smells...it is the smaller smells many do not notice...learn to notice them..

Eye sights...one sees...yet see nothing...brains has too many thoughts...learn to notice things around you...and the side eyes too...be an observer..

Feelings or Instincts or "gut" feeling...one can sense if "Love" is there..

Touch the tip or blade of a knife..one learns very quickly of the dangers..
..we now use a special glove to clean our fishes..(still got all fingers)..

Ears...learn to keep them open and the flies out...

The 5 sense...learn to keep them alert...

Aloha, ...one sense...the learning will be a long time..

Reaction score
Unless I missed it... I didn't see anyone reccomend:
Surviving Armed Assaults: A Martial Artists Guide to Weapons, Street Violence, and Countervailing Force by Lawrence A. Kane
It has a good sized section on awareness as well as things like de-escalation, aftermath of violence (how to talk to cops =D), etc...

As it implies in the title, it's written with martial artists in mind. It's the best $25 I ever spent on a book. REALLY good.

You can find it here:
http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/books/external/surviving_armed_assaults

Great tips from everyone!

Oh, and if you ever remember the name of that movie: send me a message I might want to see it, lol.

Also... just for comic relief... since dogwalking puts you in potential confrontations... Maybe you need a bigger, meaner, and uglier dog? :uhyeah:

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also... just for comic relief... since dogwalking puts you in potential confrontations... Maybe you need a bigger, meaner, and uglier dog? :uhyeah:

Hm, you think something like this would help?

Maybe I'll just stick with the book.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's just me?

I'm the only one who finds the 'be a predator and think about how you could take her purse' game a little odd? Why would you even want that in you?