Everybody Wants Kung-Fu Fighting...except in the UK.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently, the song "Kung Fu Fighting" is a hate crime in the UK. Or the Isle of Man, anyway. Which seems just bizarre to me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...nse-police-losing-plot.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

A beach bar singer on the Isle of Wight has been arrested for performing the song Kung Fu Fighting. Simon Ledger stands accused of racially aggravated harassment.

He was entertaining a crowd enjoying the Easter sunshine when a man reported to be of Chinese origin took offence at the lyrics and complained to police.
Mr Ledger was subsequently interviewed and is now facing formal charges.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol, what?

didn't know there was a Chinese reference in there...aside from Kung Fu...

(so they have wing nuts in the UK, too?)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, what?

didn't know there was a Chinese reference in there...aside from Kung Fu...

(so they have wing nuts in the UK, too?)

They were funky China men from funky Chinatown
They were chopping them up and they were chopping them down
It's an ancient Chineese art and everybody knew their part
From a feint into a slip, and kicking from the hip

There was funky Billy Chin and little Sammy Chung
He said here comes the big boss, lets get it on

Kinda weak......both the song, and the case :rolleyes:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And people still argue that Political Correctness is a good thing - after having just read a real horror story about an Indian man behading his girlfriend it is hard to get any true horsepower behind my disgust at this but, for crying out loud, enough already.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is not the beginning of the P.C silliness and it won't be the end. Wait till they get really serious and arrest people for playing the Captain and Tennille. Now that would be a tragedy and the true fading of the light of freedom.

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure it's all about how he was singing it to make it offensive. An accent for example could put an offensive spin on it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know if the complainant was actually from China or Taiwan, meaning born and raised there or just of Chinese heritage born and raised in the UK.

The reason I say this is that there are things that are said from time to time that become issue in the Chinese community in the USA however the origin almost always appears to either an ABC (American Born Chinese) or someone that came here very young and was raised in the USA. Most native born and raised Mainlanders and Taiwanese I know could not care less about any of it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Isle of Man isn't part of the UK, it's a Protectorate but otherwise independant. They have their own Parliament (oldest in the world), own government, elections and laws so what they chose to like or dislike ain't anything to do with the UK.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yippeee, you are back!!

(what did you do? Give up MT for Lent?)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yippeee, you are back!!

(what did you do? Give up MT for Lent?)

:) I gave it up because the right wing posters were getting too increasingly strident and nasty, it was spilling into the martial arts threads too then I got a bronchial infection and couldn't be bothered, I went on holiday and chilled, just came back yesterday.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:) I gave it up because the right wing posters were getting too increasingly strident and nasty, it was spilling into the martial arts threads too then I got a bronchial infection and couldn't be bothered, I went on holiday and chilled, just came back yesterday.

AHH, glad you are doing better.

I put a couple of the worst offenders on ignore and life is much better ^_^

Then again, we (as in my state and general area) got hit by a bunch of bad storms...having made it through this with not even a scratch or a lose roof shingle is absolutely priceless and I am totally giddy.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Isle of Man isn't part of the UK, it's a Protectorate but otherwise independant. They have their own Parliament (oldest in the world), own government, elections and laws so what they chose to like or dislike ain't anything to do with the UK.
He was on the Isle of Wight...
That is part of the UK, right?

Latest Discussions